Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

DOC:Need List of Links2 Programs and Files Each Opens

Quote Reply
DOC:Need List of Links2 Programs and Files Each Opens
Could someone list here the names of all the cgi/pl programs links uses. I want to make sure I got them all in my next question...

Plus, if anyone feels ambitious, include a list of files opened in each. If this is not already done I will do it and post it here for anyone needing this for their mods.
Thanks
TimRyan
Quote Reply
Re: DOC:Need List of Links2 Programs and Files Each Opens In reply to
This has been talked about...

But you can find a list of all files in the docs for links. It shows where to install each and every file.

The only files not listed are the ones down UNDER the page tree since that is generated and site specific.

The Links 2.0 documentation project has been suggested -- but then, who would benefit most from this free effort -- the users, or the programmers looking to make a quick buck??

They wouldn't even have to invest the time of their own to study links to come up with ways to charge.

I hate giving away my time to let someone else make money from it. Offering solutions to real problems is one thing -- putting 20 hours into a documentation project to be used by people who will turn around and charge for it, is another. Gee... what a change here in only a few days.

<sigh>

------------------
Robert S. Pataki, MD
President, PUGDOG Enterprises, Inc.
http://www.postcards.com
Quote Reply
TimRyan,

See thread http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...um2/HTML/000730.html
Bobsie had posted a list of files contained in the .zip --it might be a starting point.

Bob
Quote Reply
Thanks bjordan for the thread URL. Smile

pugdog SmileThanks and I will look harder at the docs. But I could not find a list (per say) of what I wanted.

TimRyan
Quote Reply
The best way to figure out which files are opened by which scripts would be to load each script in an editor with search capability and search for the word "open ".

Once you have that, then what? It isn't much use without a list of which subroutines in which scripts are called from other scripts or, conversely, what subroutines each script calls. I think that would be more important to document, but files be opened (and for what purpose) is also important.
Quote Reply
Thanks bobsie, I have done the open thing. Just wanted to see if anyone has already done it so I can sort of go one step further with my time to help with some doc for others to use. I figure I need it for myslelf anyway so might as well share it with others who have helped me Smile

Good point on the routine doc also as that is more important when it comes time to not stepping on other "Mod toes" so to speak.

Any other ideas on doing this would be usefull. I have no problem with sharing my info for "free" on something I am doing for what I need anyway. Smile

The way I look at it is... sharing the info and time I spend sort of makes my time receive more "worth" by sharing with others what I had to get anyway.

TimRyan

[This message has been edited by timryan (edited August 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I've been thinking of setting up something that documents Links a bit better. What I have in mind is to use Links itself to setup main categories for each of the scripts. Each of these would describe the purpose of the script, etc. Each would contain subcategories that are the subroutines contained in each script plus a subcategory for the global variables used by the script. These would contain the description and purpose of the subroutine and variables and what scripts actuall call the subroutine (maybe using the related categories to do that). Files opened could also be added in there someplace, to include whether they are opened for reading, overwriting, or appending to.

This would be a very big project, but I think it is doable. I just need to find some time to start that project. However, anyone else is free to do so as well.

By the way, although this does not seem to be related to a Links modification, I think it is because such a tool could be used by programmers when developing their mods. I don't see where it would be used for any other purpose, actually. Do you think we should discuss it here, or discuss it in the Links Discussion Forum? Opinions will be appreciated.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited August 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I would think Links Mod would be the best place to discuss it because those doing a mod would need to use this tool. I personally would tend to look here first. Also, the feedback would be greater here because this really is what the discussion (woops) is all about; The Modification of Links. Smile

All kidding aside though... there is no doubt in my mind at all that this is the appropriate place to have this done. Links Discussion (I think) would be more for "undefined" and general discussions of links.

However, (and better yet). It would be nice if we actually had a seperate forum just for "Links Documentation". Then we could all put our work under various defined thread within it. This would allow us to keep track of who did what so we did not do "double" time/work on the same part of the documentation.
TimRyan

[This message has been edited by timryan (edited August 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I have an editor that will do a "find" on directories and subs. Here is the results of the "open" query. Line # is noted in parentheses.

Code:
----------------------------------------
Find 'open' in 'add.cgi' :
add.cgi(96):
open (ID, "<$db_links_id_file_name") or &cgierr("error in process_form. unable to open id file: $db_links_id_file_name. Reason: $!");
add.cgi(105):
open (ID, ">$db_links_id_file_name") or &cgierr("error in get_defaults. unable to open id file: $db_links_id_file_name. Reason: $!");
add.cgi(112):
open (VAL, ">>$db_valid_name") or &cgierr("error in add_record. unable to open validate file: $db_valid_name. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'jump.cgi' :
jump.cgi(63):
open (COUNT, "<$db_hits_path/index.count") or &error ("unable to open index count file: $db_hits_path/index.count. Reason: $!");
jump.cgi(70):
open (URL, "<$db_url_name") or &error ("unable to open url database: $db_url_name. Reason: $!");
jump.cgi(85):
open (URL, "<$db_url_name") or &error ("unable to open url database: $db_url_name. Reason: $!");
jump.cgi(95):
if (open (HIT, "<$db_hits_path/$id")) {
jump.cgi(107):
open (HIT, ">$db_hits_path/$id") or &error ("Can't open for output counter file. Reason: $!");
jump.cgi(115):
open (HIT, ">$db_hits_path/$id") or &error ("Can't increment counter file. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'modify.cgi' :
modify.cgi(74):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
modify.cgi(105):
open (MOD, "<$db_modified_name") or &cgierr ("error opening modified database: $db_modified_name. Reason: $!");
modify.cgi(119):
open (MOD, ">>$db_modified_name") or &cgierr("error in modify.cgi. unable to open modification database: $db_modified_name. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'rate.cgi' :
rate.cgi(87):
if (open (HIT, "<$db_rates_path/$id")) {
rate.cgi(102):
open (HIT, ">$db_rates_path/$id") or &cgierr ("Can't open for output counter file. Reason: $!");
rate.cgi(114):
open (HIT, ">$db_rates_path/$id") or &cgierr ("Can't increment counter file '$db_rates_path/$id'. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'search.cgi' :
search.cgi(208):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in search. unable to open database: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'subscribe.cgi' :
subscribe.cgi(81):
open (LIST, ">$list") or &cgierr ("Unable to open list: $list. Reason: $!");
subscribe.cgi(108):
open (LIST, ">$list") or &cgierr ("Unable to open list: $list. Reason: $!");
subscribe.cgi(126):
open (LIST, "<$list") or &cgierr ("Unable to open list: $config{'list_dir'}/$list. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'admin_html.pl' :
admin_html.pl(1041):
open (VALIDATE, "<$db_valid_name") or &cgierr("unable to open validation file: $db_valid_name. Reason: $!");
admin_html.pl(1049):
open (MODIFY, "<$db_modified_name") or &cgierr("unable to open validation file: $db_valid_name. Reason: $!");
admin_html.pl(1080):
Click on the validate link to open a new window to preview the site.
admin_html.pl(1536):
open (TPL, "<$db_template_path/$in{'edit_tpl'}") or &cgierr ("Can't load template: $db_template_path/$in{'edit_tpl'}. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'db.pl' :
db.pl(42):
open (DB, ">>$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in add_record. unable to open database: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(49):
open (ID, ">$db_id_file_name") or &cgierr("error in get_defaults. unable to open id file: $db_id_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(82):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in delete_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(97):
open (DB, ">$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in delete_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(135):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in modify_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(154):
open (DB, ">$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in modify_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(193):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in modify_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(222):
open (DB, ">$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in modify_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(329):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in search. unable to open database: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db.pl(500):
open (VAL, "<$db_valid_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open validate file: $db_valid_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(514):
open (VAL, ">$db_valid_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open validate file: $db_valid_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(523):
open (MOD, "<$db_modified_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open modified database: $db_modified_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(538):
open (MOD, ">$db_modified_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open modified database: $db_modified_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(548):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(567):
open (DB, ">$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(578):
open (DB, ">>$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records, unable to open db file: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(658):
open (DB, "<$db_links_name") or &cgierr("error in check_links. unable to open db file: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(712):
open (DB, "$db_file_name") or &cgierr ("Unable to open $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(713):
open (DBTMP, ">$db_file_name.bak") or &cgierr ("Unable to open $db_file_name.bak. Reason: $!");
db.pl(729):
open (DBTMP, ">$db_file_name") or &cgierr ("unable to open links database: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(730):
open (DB, "$db_file_name.bak") or &cgierr ("unable to open temp links database: $db_file_name.bak. Reason: $!");
db.pl(746):
open (CATID, "<$db_category_id_file_name") or &cgierr ("Unable to open category id file: $db_category_id_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(750):
open (CAT, ">>$db_category_name") or &cgierr ("Unable to open category file: $db_category_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(757):
open (CATID, ">$db_category_id_file_name") or &cgierr ("Unable to open category id file: $db_category_id_file_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(771):
open (DB, "<$db_links_name") or &cgierr("error in check_duplicates. unable to open db file: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
db.pl(796):
open (TPL, ">$db_template_path/$tpl_name") or &cgierr ("Can't open template: $db_template_path/$tpl_name for writing. Reason: $!");
db.pl(810):
opendir (TPL, "$db_template_path") or &cgierr ("Invalid template directory: $db_template_path. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'db_utils.pl' :
db_utils.pl(27):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in get_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db_utils.pl(56):
open (ID, "<$db_id_file_name") or &cgierr("error in get_defaults. unable to open id file: $db_id_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db_utils.pl(77):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in validate_records. unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db_utils.pl(121):
open (DB, "<$db_email_name ") or &cgierr("unable to open db file: $db_email_name .\nReason: $!");
db_utils.pl(143):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("unable to open db file: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
db_utils.pl(213):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("unable to open $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
db_utils.pl(344):
open (DB, "<$db_category_name") or &cgierr("unable to open $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'Mailer.pm' :
Mailer.pm(151):
# Opens a smtp port and sends the message headers.
Mailer.pm(218):
# Get a filehandle, and open pipe to sendmail.
Mailer.pm(220):
open ($s, "|$self->{'sendmail'}");
Mailer.pm(328):
(open (LOG, ">>$logfile") or (&error('BADLOG', $logfile, $!) and return undef)) :
Mailer.pm(329):
(open (LOG, ">$logfile") or (&error('BADLOG', $logfile, $!) and return undef));
Find 'open' in 'nph-build.cgi' :
nph-build.cgi(362):
open (TMP, "$db_script_path/data/$_.db") or &cgierr ("Unable to open $db_script_path/data/$_.db. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(363):
open (TMPOUT, ">$db_script_path/backup/$date.$_.db") or &cgierr ("Unable to open $db_script_path/$date.$_.db. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(382):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(383):
open (URL, ">$db_url_name") or &cgierr("unable to open url index: $db_url_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(397):
open (CNT, ">$db_hits_path/index.count") or &cgierr("unable to open count file: '$db_hits_path/index.count'. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(410):
opendir (HITS, $db_rates_path) or &cgierr ("unable to open ratings directory: $db_rates_path. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(413):
open (HIT, "$db_rates_path/$id") or &cgierr ("unable to open rating counter: $db_rates_path/$id. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(422):
open (DB, "$db_links_name") or &cgierr ("unable to open links database: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(423):
open (DBTMP, ">$db_links_name.bak") or &cgierr ("unable to open temp links database: $db_links_name.bak. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(446):
open (DBTMP, ">$db_links_name") or &cgierr ("unable to open links database: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(447):
open (DB, "$db_links_name.bak") or &cgierr ("unable to open temp links database: $db_links_name.bak. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(472):
opendir (HITS, $db_hits_path) or &cgierr ("unable to open hits directory: $db_hits_path. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(475):
open (HIT, "$db_hits_path/$id") or &cgierr ("unable to open hit counter: $db_hits_path/$id. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(483):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_file_name.\nReason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(515):
open (DB, "$db_links_name") or &cgierr ("unable to open links database: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(516):
open (DBTMP, ">$db_links_name.bak") or &cgierr ("unable to open temp links database: $db_links_name.bak. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(552):
open (DBTMP, ">$db_links_name") or &cgierr ("unable to open links database: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(553):
open (DB, "$db_links_name.bak") or &cgierr ("unable to open temp links database: $db_links_name.bak. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(577):
open (DB, "<$db_category_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_category_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(614):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(683):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(692):
open (DETAIL, ">$build_detail_path/$id$build_extension") or &cgierr ("Unable to build detail page: $build_detail_path/$id$build_extension. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(747):
open (HEAD, "<$db_header_path/$header") or &cgierr ("Unable to open header file: $db_header_path/$header. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(755):
open (FOOT, "<$db_footer_path/$footer") or &cgierr ("Unable to open footer file: $db_footer_path/$footer. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(802):
open (CAT, ">$dir/$build_index") or &cgierr ("unable to open category page: $dir/$build_index. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(829):
open (CAT, ">$dir/more$page_num$build_extension") or &cgierr ("unable to open category page: $dir/index$page_num$build_extension. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(852):
open (DB, "<$db_category_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_category_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(878):
nph-build.cgi(929):
print "\tOpening page: $build_root_path/$build_index\n";
nph-build.cgi(931):
open (HOME, ">$build_root_path/$build_index") or &cgierr ("unable to open home page: $build_root_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(986):
open (NEW, ">$build_new_path/$date$build_extension") or cgierr ("unable to open what's new page: $build_new_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(1007):
open (NEW, ">$build_new_path/$build_index") or cgierr ("unable to open what's new page: $build_new_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(1038):
open (COOL, ">$build_cool_path/$build_index") or cgierr ("unable to open what's cool page: $build_cool_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(1060):
open (LINKS, $db_links_name) or &cgierr ("unable to open links database: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
nph-build.cgi(1113):
open (RATE, ">$build_ratings_path/$build_index") or &cgierr ("unable to open top rated page: $build_ratings_path/$build_index. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'nph-email.cgi' :
nph-email.cgi(130):
# Otherwise, open the database and go through and mail requested/all users.
nph-email.cgi(131):
open (DB, "<$db_links_name") or &cgierr("unable to open database: $db_links_name. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'nph-verify.cgi' :
nph-verify.cgi(87):
-2, "Could not open socket",
nph-verify.cgi(133):
open (DB, "<$db_file_name") or &cgierr("error in verify_links. unable to open db file: $db_file_name. Reason: $!");
Find 'open' in 'Template.pm' :
Template.pm(35):
'CANTOPEN' => "Template: Can't open template: $e1. Reason: $e2",
Template.pm(75):
open (TPL, "<$file") or (&error('CANTOPEN', $file, $!) and return undef);
Find 'open' in 'Parser.pm' :
Parser.pm(151):
# immediately follow the tag open delimiter `<'.
Parser.pm(232):
open(F, $file) &#0124; &#0124; die "Can't open $file: $!";
Parser.pm(310):
open(F, "foo.html") &#0124; &#0124; die;
Parser.pm(340):
be a filename or an already opened file handle. The return value from
Find 'open' in 'Protocol.pm' :
Protocol.pm(188):
unless ( open(OUT, ">>$arg") ) {
Find 'open' in 'ftp.pm' :
ftp.pm(499):
# may be reasonable to keep the control connection open while accessing

Bob
Quote Reply
WoW! bjordan, as my kids would say... that was awesome Smile thanks. Smile Smile

Did we cover all the program modules for links? (At least what was in the original download package.)

I have been looking for a program (for years) that would do a find on multiple files in a directory. Where might one find that nice tool! It would help a lot on debugs and documentation.

TimRyan

[This message has been edited by timryan (edited August 08, 1999).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
Did we cover all the program modules for links? (At least what was in the original download package.)
Yes. I went back to the original unzip.

As for the HTML text editor I'm using --it's UltraEdit 32 (was 5 cows @ Toucows, approx $40) I HIGHLY recommend it.

Bob
Quote Reply
HomeSite also does searches across multiple documents in a directory and also will search through subdirectories as well.
Quote Reply
Bobsie,
I get so many emails a day I have a tendancy of speed reading and missing some details. So I missed the important part of your above post yesterday. Smile
Quote:

That thought had crossed my mind also. I agree that would be a better way to do it than my last idea on using a new forum category. Although maybe the new forum category idea might help for discussion, etc. for materials for the "Links itself" idea.
TimRyan