Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Commas in category names (Yes, I have already read the special characters post)

Quote Reply
Commas in category names (Yes, I have already read the special characters post)
I have read and applied the tips from the post here:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/001722.html

And the & character works fine, but the comma does not. It will add a category with a comma into the database okay, and it will build the category, but here's the problem:

When I try to add a link into the the category with the comma in the name, the pull down menu (in both the public add form and the admin panel) lists the category name like this:

Country_&_Bluegrass/Country/Brooks
_Garth (this is on the next line down)
instead of listing it like Country_&_Bluegrass/Country/Brooks,_Garth which is the real category name.

If I add the link just to the category on the first line, obviously Links doesn't recognize that the link is in its proper category and thus, won't put it into links.db and thus won't build it into the index at all. In links.db, the Category field looks like this:

|Country_&_Bluegrass/Country/Brooks|_Garth

It appears that the script is reading the "," as a delimiter. And when generating the SELECT field is turning the "," into an <OPTION> tag. I found the subroutine in db_utils.pl that creates the SELECT field, but have no idea how to proceed, as I am not a programmer. Smile

Interestingly enough, if I manually edit links.db to change the misplaced "|" to a "," it will build properly, but that doesn't solve the problem of being able to add the link to the database correctly to begin with.

Has anybody else had any experience with this comma issue? Or at least have some suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Teresa
Quote Reply
Re: Commas in category names (Yes, I have already read the special characters post) In reply to
Hi,
I had the same problem, and when i asked about it here, i was told to look at the special characters posts, but they didnt help .

i didnt have time to work on fixing it , so i just didnt use commas anymore.

Laith,