Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Check this out.

Quote Reply
Check this out.
I just got this email from indexfinger. I am on their mailing list. Look at what they said.
Quote:
We moved the site to another server and we need to test a few new features. Let just say that our competitors will fear us and the rest will sit in ahhh.
Hehe. I don't think it will be better. Just wanted to let you know I still think links is way better.
Sincerly,
Michael
http://www.websiteresources.net
Quote Reply
Re: Check this out. In reply to
If it was up to me I would BANN the indexfinger from the net, I tried it and it is way off the line! You haft to make a link "cool", it will not do it by its self. Who ever is thinking or is using indexfinger then you need to think again. Links is the only way to go. I personaly think that Links is better than Yahoo. Get both of them side by side, you can see already how Links is better.
Quote Reply
What I was refering to is that Links does the same as Yahoo, even lets you do much more(at least I think)you get the "what's cool", and the "whats new" pages, Yahoo don't even have anything like that. Although they just have the new image beside the the links thats new. Links lets you display all of your links, Yahoo only displays a few then you haft to search the rest. When I first learned about Links, I had thought that this was Yahoo's script, No matter what Links and Yahoo are written in, I still think Links is way better than Yahoo.
Quote Reply
Links is better than Yahoo??? Are you kidding me? Yahoo! is written in C which is much more robust. Perl written programs are usually for the "little" guys who's dreaming to be the next Yahoo!. If you ever want to be in the big leagues, a perl written program (like Links) is not going to take you there. But if you just want to operate a non-commercial site, a no-name service, not many hits/users, Links is the way to go and best of all, it's free. That's my 2-cents.
John
Quote Reply
 I believe jbost is referring to the user interface, which he feels is superior to Yahoo. The end user doesn't care whether the management scripts are written in C or Perl or whatever.
Quote Reply
Click on "contributors" at the bottom of Yahoo.com...

A large part of the Yahoo! software and infrastructure has benefited immensely from the public domain software available on the net. We'd like to acknowledge some of the important components that we use at Yahoo!.

Perl - most of our custom code is written in Perl, an awesomely quick way to code. It does everything!

And Yahoo! does have a what's new section: http://www.yahoo.com/new/

------------------
--------------
BJ/S