Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

CGI Resources Review & Ratings Mod

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: CGI Resources Review & Ratings Mod In reply to
Blair,

Is review mod available for download or use on other peoples links 2.0 system. Umm... like me.

However, Widgetz, if your still building yours like CGI-resources, I might wait for that.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
Well,
It might take me a while to go through all the modifications, as links on the site is heavily modified.... as you can see. I'll let you know though.

------------------
Sincerely,
Blair Ireland
bireland@visuart-design.com
www.thescripts.com

Quote Reply
hmm..

bireland.. the only thing different from mine and yours is that yours builds the reviews on a different page using ssi to call.. that takes disk space plus time..

mine builds it on the detailed page automatically.. or if the setting $build_reviews_on_detailed is set to 0 it builds it on a seperate page with a link to it on the detailed page..

i'm not sure if yours has SPAN pages.. but mine will.. Smile

oh yea.. for my news program.. i use

NewsPro.. Smile i integrated into links and now it builds static pages..

the fact that i am using hypermart i do not have telnet.. so i don't have crontab . i also made a mod for that.. lol i put a ssi tag at the very bottom of the index page and it checks when the whole site was last built.. lol.. and then if it hasn't been built in the last 6 hours.. it builds it.. lol Smile (it builds it 4 times a day).. but obviously you need a high traffic site to make it work well..
Quote Reply
widgetz,

I configured nph-build.cgi to build all the files I need for me. It only ended out about a second to the total build time.

I think this was the best way to do it on my site, and it probably wont suit other sites well. Also, the site is on a dedicated server, so diskspace really isnt an issue, though i made the actual cgi file a lowly
3 K, and just relying on a library.

------------------
Sincerely,
Blair Ireland
bireland@visuart-design.com
www.thescripts.com

Quote Reply
I like what I see.. What I have in mind is a program that will run on its own to use as a product review script where people can vote on products and give a review of them..

If anyone can help I would appreciate them an even will offer some incentive. If you can help contact me asap @ ICQ # 10271446, or email:carforums.com[/url]
Quote Reply
Ground Zero,

You can take a look at our site to see how we implemented the 3 level new and the review script (with a little bit ot tweaking on the link.html)

http://www.sponsorfind.com

you can find a review at:

http://www.sponsorfind.com/A1_Website_Sponsors/Click_Thru_Sponsors/

IF you have any questions on the tweaks let me know.

Marcus
Sponsorfind Admin
marcus@sponsorfind.com
Quote Reply
Hello SponsorFind,

You have to see CGI Resources to know what I mean. Their review and comments area is amazing. Graphic rating charts, great layout.

Check it out. I'm sure you've heard of cgi-resources.com.

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
Hi again!

i'm all done with the writing part.. and I need to finish the reading part.. (modify admin.cgi, admin_html.pl, and db_utils.pl so that you can validate the reviews and modify nph-build.cgi so it will build the reviews)..

i am using another script i previously made for the usernames and passwords.. so that should easily be done..

i also decided there will be a variable if you want to build user profiles.. cause that can be a waste of space too Smile

ok.. bye
jerry
Quote Reply
I can't wait for it to come out.

I'll be waiting.

Thanks widgetz.

------------------
James L. Murray
VirtueTech, Inc.
www.virtuetech.com
Quote Reply
Just to clear up the record, everything at The CGI Resource Index was created entirely from scratch at this point, including all poorly coded behind-the-scenes stuff (man, that code is messy). I found a new graphic out on the net and from there modified the text and changed the colors to create the three-tier system, but those specific graphics were CGI Resource Index originals. I'm not anal enough to try and stop others from using them, though, so enjoy.

We try to keep our site fresh and original by changing things, adding new features, etc., and if Links didn't have such a quick and loyal developer base, we might even be able to stay original! Smile

Why don't we distribute our code? Cause it's messy, tightly integrated into the CGI specific site and would take a long time to clean up and make useful (It's proving troublesome even for me to try and convert over to similar sites for resourceindex.com). It's basically been hacked all the way along as I add new features, and even I look at parts of the code and don't know what's going on anymore. Smile

Take it easy guys,

Matt Wright
The CGI Resource Index
http://cgi.resourceindex.com
Quote Reply
i use cgi-resources all the time.. and i like it.. but i don't like how i have to look at all the scripts (including the unrated ones) to find the good one..

is there any chance you can make an editor's choice / pick thingy.. and have it on like 2 per category.. except miscellaneous would have a few more.. that way i'd instantly be able to find the scripts that i would probably like..

the ratings don't say anything to me.. cause a new script could have came out 8 days ago and it would no longer say "new" and i could skip it for a 9.50 rated script..

thanks!
jerry
Quote Reply
Problem is, I lack the time required to do such investigation and determination... Frown I don't think I'd be able to find a good, impartial volunteer crew to help out, either... Though I could always be wrong...

Also, what I think is good, others may not and vice versa... The resource ratings and comments were really the only good way I thought of establishing a separation among scripts... I'm also considering adding a bulletin board to the site, when I can figure out how best to integrate it.

Matt

Matt
Quote Reply
hmm.. yea i guess a bulletin board would be good.. but then you would need moderators.. hehe Smile

you seemed to have time to type your name twice on the last message.. Smile

i would definately like to see a message board at cgi-resources..

jerry
Quote Reply
btw.. kudos for all the scripts you made and stuff.. i happen to own cgi/perl cookbook and i really like it Smile

i haven't read it.. lol.. i just bought it and looked through the cd.. hehe Smile

i have a question.. doesn't cgi-resources have a new name/domain? like script-resources or something..

thanks!
jerry
Quote Reply
I don't know if this is what you are referring to: http://cgi.resourceindex.com/ .
Quote Reply
oh yea....

i guess it is.. i wonder what will be up at resourceindex.com Smile
Quote Reply
I think this is beginning to stray from the forum's purpose. Let's stay on-topic guys. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Is the review and rate it mod coming out yet?

Hey, question...If I just installed a ratings mod, am I going to need to uninstall it in order to use the review AND ratings mod???

*worried*

------------------

--Sanguinarius
The Real Vampire Directory
www.sanguinarius.org/cgi-bin/links/pages/
Quote Reply

Quote:
Hey, question...If I just installed a ratings mod, am I going to need to uninstall it in order to use the review AND ratings mod???

You mean the Review It mod in the Resource Center? To would be best to remove it. Hopefully, you did backups... Smile

And please give Jerry some time. He's been working like mad the last few days. It's not like we're paying him, you know. Wink

[This message has been edited by t_dog (edited July 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
i haven't touched the code in so long. i have been doing little things that came along.. i just finished my search sort mod.. now i feel like doing the category sort mod.. hehe

anyways.. it will take awhile.. i do do things faster when i get something for it.. lol.. Smile
Quote Reply
yeah widgetz, get on with the review mod asap. Can't wait for it Smile. It is like the one on cgi-resources...right?
Quote Reply
Widgetz, I'm on Hypermart also and I was wondering if you could tell me how you are using SSI to simulate a cron job?
-Kiel
Quote Reply
yea review is "GOING TO END UP" like cgi-resources.. although I may release the code when it is like every other review mod..

to simulate a crontab job i basically put an ssi tag at the bottom of my index.. it goes to a script that checks what time it is.. I set it up so that it builds at 0 4 8 12 16 20 (in 24 hours).. if it hasn't been built since then.. it will build internally.. (making the persons browser continue loading even though nothing is loading Smile)...

jerry
Quote Reply
I was wondering if someone could clear this up, i am a little confused.

There seem to be quite a few different review mods talked about and i have no clue which one is which.

The ones in the resource center do not seem the same as some i have seen in action which have grahps showing ratings and well, look a lot better.

Where can i get hold of these or are these the ones that are not ready yet?

Thanks a lot

------------------
-------------------------
http://www.freeontheweb.com/
Reviewed and rated resources for webmasters
-------------------------
> >