Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Bobsie-Reccomend It Mod

Quote Reply
Bobsie-Reccomend It Mod
My latest attempt at making this mod work sends the page the link resides on but not the link itself.

Could you possible make available for download a working copy of the birdcast2.cgi that has the modifications made including
$rec{'Title'} - contains the link title.
$rec{'URL'} - contains the link URL.
$rec{'Description'} - contains the description of the link.

I think it's a great mod if I could just get the damn thing to work right. If you leave the copyright info intact, this shouldn't constitute any kind of infringement.

Thanks in advance,
Will

------------------
Will
Webmaster
FishHoo! Search index for Fishermen
http://www.fishhoo.com
Quote Reply
Re: Bobsie-Reccomend It Mod In reply to
It sounds like you are having problems with steps 1.e.1 and 1.e.2. Right below the lines you have posted, there is this:

Quote:
If nothing else, delete the following line:

<A HREF="$ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}">$ENV{'HTTP_REFERER'}</A>

Then, in the html part of sub draw_request of the script, you show the link as:

Quote:
<b>Site Being Recommended:</b>
<p>
<a href="$rec{'URL'}">$rec{'Title'}</a>

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited June 16, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Bobsie, I don't have those 3 lines in my script. That's the reason I specifically asked for those lines to be included in your script. Not sure exactly where they should go or in what format.

------------------
Will
Webmaster
Quote Reply
In the mod instructions, those three lines are preceeded by the words, "for example" so, that is all they are; examples of how to specify fields from the link record.

The only ones you really need to use are the two I mentioned in my last message to form the hyperlink for the link being recommended. Any other field of the record may be used if so desired in the html you put in sub draw_request for your site. For example, if you wanted to include the link's description on the recommendation page, then you can use $rec{'Description'}. Or, if you wanted to form a link exactly like you do for the links on your category page, you could use all the same variables that you use in sub site_html_link of site_html.pl or site_html_templates.pl. The instructions do not include how to do that; it is left up to the site owner because each site is going to be different. The instructions only include what is necessary otherwise.

I could send you the script but you would get no more useful information from it since there is nothing additional in it than what is already in the instructions.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Thanks for your help. I finally got it working just the way you intended it. Please forgive a tired old lamer. I hold my breath and have heart palpitations every time i try to modify a script. Hope I get better soon.

------------------
Will
Webmaster
Quote Reply
It must just not be my week. It appears I can't even follow simple instructions. I see everyone else got this to work .. perhaps I'm just not reading it correctly.

I have the "Recommend" MOD almost working. The page comes up but without any links data and the email appears to work, but I receive no test mail.

My Error Log says this:
Odd number of elements in hash list at /usr/local/etc/httpd/htdocs/sitenameishere/cgi-bin/referlink/referlink.cgi line 75.

and here is the code before and after line 75:

# Line 75 is starts with %rec = &get...

&valid_page; #if script is called from offsite, bounce it!
&decode_vars;
%rec = &get_record($fields{'ID'});
if ( $ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'} ne "POST")
{
&draw_request;
exit;
}
&do_log;
&process_mail;
print "Location: $JUMP_TO\n\n";

# anything you see thats odd?

I checked my logfile gnerated from this MOD and the data there appears to be ok and working.

Thanks
Jeff

[This message has been edited by JWells (edited June 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Jeff,

In link.html, the entry should look similar to:

Quote:
<a href="/cgi-bin/BNB/birdcast2.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Recommend This Link</a>

You have "?ID=$rec{'ID'}" in your link.html.

Remember, in templates, you do not use the $ variables. You use the <%variable%> format instead.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited June 25, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Oops, I don't know much about perl "yet", but that was a silly one even for me.

Thanks, its working.