Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Altavista -> Amazon.com

Quote Reply
Altavista -> Amazon.com
Is tere a way to automatically transfer Alta Vista results into your current listings for your own site when searching. I would like to have a spin on the altavista.cgi search Amazon.com and similiar affiliate programs and put the results right in with the normal results of the search. Let me know.

------------------
The RelayMan
simsearch.hyperart.net
mdhealyjr@adelphia.net
Quote Reply
Re: Altavista -> Amazon.com In reply to
Don't know exactly what ya mean, but 216.169.107.32/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/000557.html this page might have what you want to know...

Regards,
Brian
Quote Reply
I want it to put the amazon results right into the results from my search engine but not into the category, i think i just had a brain storm on how to do it now that i think about it, put it in with no category entry. hmmm.....

------------------
The RelayMan
simsearch.hyperart.net
mdhealyjr@adelphia.net
Quote Reply
Smart Guy, I know exactly what you mean. I gave it a try, I donot have enough experience with perl. I am able to dump links on my page, but they are not parsed properly. It would be a quick job for someone who knows perl.
Quote Reply
relayman, let us know if you this mod to work. I am looking for this exact same feature.

Thanks

------------------
Brian
wwnurse.com
Quote Reply
The Perl script Anaconda may help you - it parses Amazon searches into your site (and adds your affiliate info so you get maximum commission). I have it running at www.onlineorders.net/amazon.html
Quote Reply
Hi -

When I use $term in site_html.pl to return a two word search to Amazon.com, my results for a search for "David Rosen" are returned as:
David%20Rosen. Does anyone know how to change %20 into a blank space?

[This message has been edited by nautis (edited March 07, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Actually, %20 IS a blank space and should work fine in your Amazon.com search. It is just being represented in hexadecimal form.

However, if you really want to get rid of it, you can do this before the code that uses $term:

$term =~ s/%(..)/pack("c",hex($1))/ge;

This will take any two hex digits which are preceded by %, and convert it to its ASCII equivalent. Thus, %20 gets converted to a space (ASCII 32).

Another way to specify it (but just for spaces) is:

$term =~ s/%20/ /ge;

But again, you should not do this for searches outside of your domain (such as Amazon.com). The lack of the space can cause the external search to fail because it may only pick up the first part of the term (i.e., David instead of "David Rosen").

I remove the %20 only for display purposes on my search results or failure pages.

I hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Hi -

Thanks, Bobsie. That did the trick.

Cheers,

Matthew