Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Alphabetizing Categories

Quote Reply
Alphabetizing Categories
Is there any way to have Links automatically put your categories and sub-categories in alphabetical order when they are displayed? Or do you have to enter them in order when you set it up?

If this is the case, how can you insert categories later in the right alphabetical order if needed?

I searched the resource center but couldn't find anything about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Alphabetizing Categories In reply to
The categories should be built in alphabetical order and are arranged alphabetically in the Name field in the LINKS MANAGER.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
But what happens down the road when you want to insert a new sub-category or something? How would you get it in between the other categories already there in order?

If you have to re-enter all the categories with the new one in the right place, I imagine that would do bad things to all the links attached to them.

Example: If your sub-categories are arranged ID#3,4,5,6,7 in alphabetical order under main category ID#2 and then you want to add a new sub-category 6 months later. It might be category ID#56 then. How do you get it between say 4 and 5 without bumping categories 5-55 all down one?

So once you set up your categories, you're locked in? Is that what you're saying??

BTW, thanks for your help the last couple of days.
Quote Reply
NO...That is NOT what I am saying. Categories and Sub-categories are AUTOMATICALLY alphabetized when you add them in the LINKS MANAGER NO MATTER what their ID number is.

For example:

In my database, I added some categories that start with C about a month ago. They were put in the drop-down in-between the B and D categories.

YOU are NOT locked into the category list permanently. That is the nice thing about LINKS...its flexibility!

Do you understand now?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I understand but using the sub-category mod from Widgetz it displays the sub-categories accross in the order they were entered, regardless of alphabet. You can see mine at:

http://www.freegolfinfo.com/links

I entered a sub-category of the second main category titled "a" to test it. It put sub-category "a" after the first two even though it should come first.

Maybe the problem is with the sub-category mod, not Links. How to I get the sub-category mod to display in alphabetical order?
Quote Reply
On second check of your comment, the sub-category I added wasn't automatically inserted in my dropdown in the right place. It is in the order entered in both the sub-category mod (front page) as well as any drop down list (both external and in admin).
How do I get this alphabetized correctly?

It might alphabetize the first letter but it isn't working for the sub-categories.
Quote Reply
It should....

For instance...look at my site:

vlib.anthrotech.com

Check out the Add Site options, check out the Category Listing.

The BUG may lie with the subcategories like Yahoo mod that you installed. I installed v.2.1 and it works fine for me!

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Yeah, might be, I downloaded templates from a first-timer (not that I'm much better). But I don't think the templates should make a difference because the code is in the <%category%> call. In the site_html_templates file it's all Widgetz sub-cat code. I sent him an E-mail, maybe he can help, but mine is not automatically generating in alphabetical order.

Have any other suggestions?

Might be with the template though because my add site is a drop down (http://www.freegolfinfo.com/links/add.html) and the drop down isn't in the right order. Still doesn't explain the homepage, should work ok with Widgetz's mod.

Quote Reply
Just realized something.

Your CATAGORIES are in alpha order but what about SUB-CATAGORIES? Thats where I am having my problem. I haven't tested the main categories but they might alphabetize fine. I want the subcategories under them using Widgetz's mod to alphabetize.
Quote Reply
Don't mean to keep posting to myself but...

I checked it and even my main categories don't go in alphabetical when I add a new category.

Does any one know how to fix this??
Quote Reply
And my SUB-CATEGORIES are in Alphabetical Order...Take a closer look at the add.cgi file and also click through the Categories.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
I'm not doubting that yours works, I can see that your does. Your site looks great.

But I don't know what is wrong with mine. Why does mine not do this correctly? I am adding categories through the admin.cgi so the add.cgi shouldn't be an issue.

If anyone can help me, I would be very thankful.
Quote Reply
Thanks Alex but I got it figured out.

Oversight on my part, it alphabetizes Upper case A-Z and then lower case a-z. No big deal really but if you add a category starting with a lower case it will appear after all of your uppercase categories.

Thanks,
Justin
Quote Reply
Can you post a URL to where you are seeing things not in order?

Cheers,

Alex