Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Admin MOD v2.0

Quote Reply
Admin MOD v2.0
ok.. i've remade this mod by request of Bmxer..

it does not include the messaging system or the editor validation process.. but it's secure..

it is also much less code.. i remember adding only 8 lines to db_utils.pl.. NONE to db.pl and admin.cgi pretty much changed entirely.. but the file is so small it doesn't matter much Smile it is a much smaller version of the original.. mainly because it lacks the validation process from editor to admin thingy (that was requested at that time) there is also quite a few in admin_html.pl

at this time i'm not ready to distribute the code.. (as i am tired and i have to take a test tommorrow morning at 8:30) so you guys will have to wait.. but i'll let you guys see it in action on my dynamic database (which lacks many features.. but they don't matter much for this mod)

http://www.widgetz.com/admin/

i'm using my web based authentication (so i could log out without having to close my browser every time)

anyways.. here are some user names and passwords.. you can create your own.. but please do not delete accounts.. (i do have a backer upper just in case Smile)

u: USERNAME
p: PASSWORD

u: jsu7785
p: test

u: Moderator
p: test

also.. the templates are not editable cause i changed their permissions to 644..

notice the categories in each account.. some has less. some has more.. some accounts have less features.. etc..

also.. my IDs are not by NUMBERS.. they are by a up to 8 character symbol..

the program was links.. the admin is almost the same.. but i wrote the one script that runs the whole site myself..

anyways.. FIND THE BUGS!

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL Licensed
------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Admin MOD v2.0 In reply to
oh.. i'll fix the databases.. i guess when i added the EditTemp field it screwed up

this is actually not the same mod.. i started from scratch yesterday seeing how much easier it would be if i didn't do the messaging system, editor validation.. and a few other things..

bmxer.. i guess you can do the editor in category thing.. but it's not as easy as it seems.. you can't split decode any of the admin stuff in nph-build.cgi..

also.. this is lacking the log to view who logged in and the keeping track of IP and times..

spy.. the reason for the HTML login is actually for NT.. if the directory had .htaccess.. it wouldn't show the HTML login.. unless the .htaccess username is not on the admin.db file.. (so it works with both UNIX and NT (iis))

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL Licensed
------------------
Quote Reply
Cool. I noticed the email stuff (email links owners, newsletter) is missing. Don't know if that was on purpose or not. Aside from that, looks nice!

ps. At the moment, your db appears to be short 3 fields.
Quote Reply
Wow! I'm mondo impressed. Will it work on NT? Sorry if that's a stupid question but I'm new to it all.

I've used everyone's stuff so much that I'd like to give something back... I'm working on some new ideas.

regards

spy
Quote Reply
Ok, from what i saw, that looks pretty close to what i saw before, minus the mentioned. But i never really wanted all that stuff. I see no problem with no validation of what editors do, you just have to trust them. I like how you restrict what they can do in the add, and how it says the names like hello jsu7785. I was thinking like Dmoz, on the category that certain editors are in charge of, it could be like "Editors in this category - <%USERNAME%>" or something to print out the editors. Thanks widgetz.

also
you may know, but i think your missing deliminators in the db because your admin is scrambled in the view links part
------------------
LookHard Search
lookhard.hypermart.net
Lavon Russell

[This message has been edited by Bmxer (edited January 21, 2000).]
Quote Reply
i did find a bug.. it didn't let anyone add a root category.. i changed it a bit so only an admin can add a root category while moderators can't (even if they have access to every single category)

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL Licensed
------------------
Quote Reply
Can editors delete other editors?
Quote Reply
administrators can delete everyone.. moderators can't delete anyone..

so you can only set administrators to people you REALLY trust..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL Licensed
------------------

Quote Reply
Hi!
Where could I get your mod? I really need it!

Bye
Tiggr

------------------
visit http://larp-welt.de/
the resource for german live roleplaying

Quote Reply
widgetz,
I'm using Windows NT. So, definitely your solution will be my problem solver. Where and how can I have it?
Quote Reply
Hi Jerry, your mod looks great and I can see a lot of potential for sites which would require a number of people, with limited access, to perform some duties. Two questions I have would be,

1) Can your mod be used in conjunction with the full admin interface? Perhaps called from a different directory.

It would be great to use this mod for allowing the limited access while still being able (as admin) to have the email, newsletter and other functionality available.

2) I know you're working within SQL also, could your mod be incorporated into the SQL version (have never installed/used Links 2.0)?

Thanks!

------------------
~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Karen
Quote Reply
karen..

Links SQL has maintain.cgi which pretty much does the same thing except allows Editors to do it from the CGI directory..

it can get quite dynamic with page.cgi also..

for the rest of you people.. i practically forgot i even made this mod.. i will release the code this weekend when i have no school stuff to do..

when in school i don't even remember i have a website or anything that has to do with the 'internet'.. it's like i live 2 lives.. regular kid during the day and some computer freak at night.. also.. lately i haven't came on as much.. for example.. this week I have only come on for like 3 hours.. 2 hours today.. so both monday and tuesday combined is only 1 hour.. (sunday = slept all day)

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
you get to sleep? lucky... (when i worked for Boeing i'd rivet my eyes open in the morning... now all can use is the stapler in my office)

I found one problem so far... If a person is given "admin" status, they shouldn't be able to create users with greater access, or give themselves greater access... not really a bug, just a security issue.

could you publish a BETA release (or at least send me the code)? i promise not to whine about bugs... (well, of course i'll inform you of them) i've been beating apache bloody all week trying to get my stupid virtual hosts to recognize .htaccess files... and my site's about to go public... getting hacked our first week out wouldn't be fun...

--tom (garadon@wa.freei.net)
Quote Reply
that is why you don't have other people become administrators..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Um, Jerry... i'm not sure if this is your admin panel, or your category.cgi, but somehow, the rating and votes got messed up... hmm... everything is messed up, actually... its like someone went through and randomly shuffled parts of your db around...

ID: SUB
isPublic: Yes
Title: Subcategories Like Yahoo
Date: Nov-27-1999
Category: Links 2.0
Description: This modification allows you to simplify the process of making subcategories appear like on Yahoo!. It allows you to put the subcategories in two different styles and allows you to choose which categories to list.
Features: 2 Different Styles Character Limit
Requirements: Links 2.0
Hits: 0
isNew: No
isPopular: REV1
Rating: Yes
Votes: REVIEW.CGI v1.0

ID: Nov-27-1999
isPublic: Links 2.0
Title: Full featured review system.
Date:
Category:
Description: 0
Features: No
Requirements: REV2
Hits: Yes
isNew: REVIEW.CGI v2
isPopular: Dec-8-1999
Rating: Links SQL 1.1
Votes: SQL Powered Full Featured Review System.

ID: User Reviews 3 Rating Graphs
isPublic: Perl 5.004 or Greater GD.PM Perl Module
Title: 0
Date: No
Category: MyLinks
Description: Yes
Features: My Links
Requirements: Dec-10-1999
Hits: Links 2.0
isNew: Allow your users to add their favorite links to a list of links that are still available when they return.
isPopular:
Rating: Perl 5.004 or Greater CGI.pm Perl Module CGI/Carp.pm Perl Module
Votes: 0

the first wasn't so bad, but the next 6 were TOTALLY scrambled...

--tom

Quote Reply
ah... found it... the "update all" screws it up...
ok... it looks like

ID, isPublic, Title, Date, Category, Description, Features, Requirements, Hits, and isNew all get processed right, but it jumps to the next record after that, and oddly enough, pushes the ID, isPublic, and Title of the next field into isPopular, Rating, and Votes... so on the next record, its off by 6... next by 9, etc... there are 7 records, and it says (after being updated) there are seven, but it only shows 5...

oh -- and i know not to make other people administrators... but i'd just assume that administrators should have full permissions... also, your templates ARE editable
--tom
Quote Reply
Jerry - you gotta give us some code to work with, anything - this is the mod lots of us using links have been waiting for. Do you plan on releasing the multiple admin mod or selling it once it is fully completed - either way let us know - soon.
Quote Reply
i know why garadon.. this links database is not very important to me so if it gets screwed i don't really care..

also.. i've been busy.. i'm not sure when i will be able to release it.. tonight i have homework to do.. and starting from 3:00 pm this friday.. i will be snowboarding in tahoe.. that is until sunday night.. after that i have to finish up a literature project and then i should be clear all except for a science project due that friday..

to make it worse there are about 7 people still waiting for me to complete their sites.. i've been getting busier and busier and sooner or later i plan on just dumping the requests and pretty much not doing any more work for anyone..

i'll probably come back in the summer.. but still.. unlike last summer i plan on taking some classes.. in june and july i plan on taking Geometry or Spanish 2 in summer school (preparing for it next year) and in august i plan on taking some kind of programming class.. maybe perl.. maybe c++.. but it'll be for college credit.. so that's good

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Hi Mate!

Hows the college work going? I know exactly what it is like, Im at college in the UK.

If you have a moment now (it's a month later now), could you post the mod. Im sure people will be able to help others out with bugs and installing, if you could just tell us what to copy where Smile

If you could give us something to go with now, we'll sort the rest Smile

All the best, good luck in your exams
Ben
Quote Reply
It has been quite sometime now and no news on this mod yet, has it been published or still been kept as a secret Smile

if it hasn't been out yet does anyone know if the password mod mentioned at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/scripts/forum/resources/Forum3/HTML/004698.html is working..

thanks
Quote Reply
Greetings Ugur!

Not sure about Widgets mod, but I have the mod from the Resource Centre working after some initial problems. Check out my site and choose modify.

------------------
www.nzcid.org.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
hey

i haven't gotten to Links or Links SQL in a very long while.. i came today to see if anything interesting is happening..

i'm not in college.. i'm a freshmen in high school.. i am taking a college course for advanced PERL in the next few weeks (for college credit)..

yea.. so anyways.. i don't have time..

------------------
Jerry Su
Links SQL User
------------------
Quote Reply
Ian thanks for the reply, well I'll give the password mod a try than lets see if I can make it work, it looks pretty good on your site..

widgetz my grandma used to say "if you start something please finish it" Smile Smile
Quote Reply
Does anyone have this mod? I really need it because I'm gonna have like 4 or 5 people helping me maintain Links.

Quote Reply
Something to keep in mind with this particular Mod, it does not protect your nph files that are called from the admin.cgi script. So, you would have to port the subs in the NPH files into the admin.cgi file or adapt the login codes to the NPH files, which would be problematic if you use telnet to execute the NPH files.

Regards,

Eliot Lee