Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

ASP Version of Links

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: ASP Version of Links In reply to
I also found an ASP version of Links here at http://www.freeasp.com/ looks like it is pretty well finished.

Kurt Johnston - Team Manager
The Speed-O-Maniacs Jr. Drag Racing Team
http://speedomaniacs.com
EMail: Kurt@speedomaniacs.com
FAX: 603-297-4655
Quote Reply

Quote:
if you are running on an NT server, ASP scripts run a lot faster than perl written programs. This is a fact!

I visited johnpen's site with the ASP version and noticed that all of the pages are ASP pages. This means that every page is being parsed by the server. Alex's version builds all of the categories as HTML pages which should load faster than ASP. So unless you are running every page through SSI, your CGI generated pages would be the only ones being out performed.

Also, from reviewing this thread and the amount of time it is taking to develop this version, I would think long and hard about what kind of support you are going to receive. This is not meant as an insult to johnpen. He just seems to be a very busy person who is not able to devote a great deal of time to this project.

Joe
Quote Reply
Joe -

I just checked freeasp, and it appears it builds static HTML pages the same as Links. (That is, category and subcategory pages are HTML.) Your other objection still stands, though; it would be hard to match Alex (and this forum) in level of assistance rendered!

Vann
Quote Reply
Have we had any word on when this ASP adaptation of Links will be done?
Quote Reply
I mean the asp-dev.com version. I cannot find it on his site.
Quote Reply
Can Links run on NT servers? I know how to locate Perl ounix / linux through telnet, but how do locate it through FTP access?

One of my sites is on Linux while the other one is on NT. Secondly, can ASP run on Linux? :0)
Quote Reply
Under NT, you may leave it #!/usr/local/bin/perl as is or simply delete it. There's no difference. Both are works fine.

And as i know, ASP can't run on UNIX/its clones.
Quote Reply
Hi,

if there is a ASP Version of links I would appreciate it very much if I could have a copy.
Thanx

Niko
Quote Reply
Is anyone ever gonna come out with an ASP version of links that they can share with the public that has the capabilities of links 2.0? or maybe a php version of links?
Quote Reply
I have created an Asp version of links you can view the version at http://www.files32.com i do not know if i am going to release this version for free because there was alot of time devoted to the script , i am able to create two asp versions , one useing an access database and the other using sql server if you have interest in a asp version you can email me at hostmaster@reviewnow.com
Quote Reply
Better ask Alex for permission to re-sell the script before you do it since the architechure and layout are copyrighted by Alex and Gossamer-Threads, Inc.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
* Say NO to Duplicate Threads. :)
----------------------

Quote Reply
Eliote

I should have said that i created my own links program this is in no way a copy of Alex and Gossamer-Threads, Inc. code and i would be more than willing to show them a sample of the code , maybe i misrepresented the way i made my post to this thread , sorry if i did so
Quote Reply
Oh...I understand now.

BTW: Your web pages take a long time to download...probably because of the graphic intensive pages, probably not associated with asp.

Do you use a flatfile with your ASP directory or do you use ODBC/dsn files?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
* Be sure to visit the Resource Center for FAQ's, Modifications and Extra Goodies!!
----------------------

Quote Reply
I can use it in either a access database or sql server , ODBC/dsn files
Quote Reply
There's a pretty good .asp version of link software to be found at:
www.ymonda.com/software.asp
It is easily modifiable and free. I am putting one together on one of my sites and will be ready for public viewing soon.
There is also a good .asp version of ubb-type forum software at:
http://www.asp-dev.com/forum/
It is also easily modifiable and free. Version three should be out soon and give the same functionality as ubb. There are quite a few hacks in the forum available to give it ubb type functionality now.

A good .asp resource, similiar to cgi-resources.com is www.aspin.com , plenty (~200) of freeware/ shareware apps.

Allen

[This message has been edited by Allen (edited March 01, 2000).]
Quote Reply
If you are interested in other ASP sites, go to the following web page:

www.coco.cc.az.us/~it/webctr/tools/asp/

It lists top resource sites, and also gives general explanations of ASP technology.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

> >