Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

weird build error.

Quote Reply
weird build error.
My links installation has got me stumped.

nph-build completes perfectly every time but new links page is not showing any new links, the top rated page is not reflecting slight alterations to the code and the template and new links are not tagging as new links in the listings. Templates are ok, double checked them, cgi code is not producing any errors and timestamp on pages built corresponds to nph-build execution.

I'm not using caching, neither is my isp, my browser is not caching and cross checked same on other connections of friends, the pages have no-cache metatags in them anyway. Tried deleting the pages and then doing a rebuild. Double checked all permissions.

Even the db shows new link field set correctly.

Anyone got any ideas, I've run out of things to try.Crazy
Quote Reply
Re: [roman365] weird build error. In reply to
did you make any mods or did you install it "right out of the box" and change only the obligatory path/url etc.?

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."

Last edited by:

esm: Feb 6, 2003, 2:38 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [roman365] weird build error. In reply to
...more specifically, in links.cfg there is a setting to use templates, 1=yes, 0=no. If it's set to 0, it's building using site_html.pl, and not the templates.

When you say it's not showing new links, do you mean the "new" graphic, or are the new links not showing up at all?

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: templates and mods In reply to
Script has been modded extensively and been in a while but has had no changes to speak of made before it stopped working and it is set to use templates ok. Frown

Heres the new page : http://go.roman365.com/New/

Last edited by:

roman365: Feb 6, 2003, 2:47 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [roman365] templates and mods In reply to
just solved the ratings page problem (sort of) but still got the new problem.Unsure
Quote Reply
well, build will build. if you are getting the page, it don't matter too much which method

in your links.cfg what is your $db_new_cutoff set to?

maybe you don't have any new links to display??

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
well, the ratings page was never accurately displayed in my opinion. Can't remember why --- must be old age!!!

Gene
Quote Reply
Re: [esm] templates and mods In reply to
$db_new_cutoff = 14

Was trying to get ratings page modified to show images depending on rating (trying to alter a ratings images for links mod) but got a separate post going about that now, just trying to make it look a bit better and use jump.cgi for hyperlinks, got the jump.cgi bit working but stumped with the images.

Quote Reply
so, do you have any new links???

Gene
Quote Reply
oops, forgot to say, yes.

I added 4 as a test within the last 24 hours.
Quote Reply
gene,

I just thought that perhaps changes were made to a template, while build wasn't using them. You know, gotta cover all the angles...

Roman365,

Glad it's workin' fer ya!

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] templates and mods In reply to
Thanks Perlflunkie.

Not really unfortunately.

Still got the new problems but having limited results with rating problem.

If I stare at the code long enough I might hopefully discover the cause, or go cross eyed! Smile
Quote Reply
well, I was looking thru the links but could not find any dated Feb 2003. but I was not able to finish because I started getting Unkown Tag: rate_img.

check the date on the new links. what category are they in?

Gene
Quote Reply
oops, sorry, fixed that.

Took something out of site_html_templates.pl that should have stayed in Blush

Heres the new ones : (name = category)

Richard Azia's Roman Civilisation = general

Ancient Rome = places/rome

Pantheon = art and architecture/pantheon

MADDEN: Roman Slavery = people/slavery

Quote Reply
Sorry to have wasted your time folks Blush

Figured it out.

Those links I added were copied in from an old validate.db, thus they had the original date info from when they were submitted which is well more than 14 days ago Blush

This seems to have been the cause of my confusion, cleared the validate.db out, submitted a fresh link and it worked!

I'm so embarrased.

Thanks for the help.