Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Save as binary file after build....

Quote Reply
Save as binary file after build....
Hello All,

I am trying to do a modification for links 2.0. I need to have a file saved as "binary" after building. I have it so it builds the .txt file ... no problems ... but the other program that I want to be able to access these built files needs to have a binary file.

What is used in the other program at the <input is this:

application/octet-stream\

which I think is the part that is requesting a binary only file??

So ... is there something I can drop into nph-build to have it save the newly built .txt files as binary?

Thanks in advance. I realize this is probably a weird question.

--Train
Quote Reply
Re: [Train] Save as binary file after build.... In reply to
Hello again All,

Perhaps I should of been more thorough in my explanation.

I would like to have "Detailed View" pages available to an autoresponder program I have. I'm calling the files binary, but perhaps they are MIME? I'm not a guru at this stuff.

What my idea was is to use Links as a database for all my information that would go out in those AutoResponders. Since I need .txt files for that mail program, I modified nph-build and the detailed view sub to get the files. That worked. But the files MUST be in MIME or Binary format for that program to use them ... I get no line breaks when saved as regular (ASCII??) text.

So what I need is to have the "detailed view" .txt files, which I have done the modifications for fine, be saved as binary/MIME ... I would imagine that there is some code to put into nhp-build to have them saved binary rather than text, but have no clue ... anyone know?

Alex - Staff - FYI ... I have used Links on a different web site since '97 or '98 and since I like it so well, and it's such a stable piece of work, I'd like to incorporate it for use on this other site. I do realize I would need another site license to do so and if I can get it all working will purchase that license.

--Train
Quote Reply
if you are just needing line breaks, how about this http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...;;page=unread#unread

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
That didn't seem to be quite the ticket. It is definitely close though ...

I think if I knew what to "key" to make the line break it would work. Using that as coded put in the <br> ... which isn't what I want, because the files are just text. I tried a \n thinking that was the unix line break equivalent, but it didn't work either.

--Train