Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Script to re-numerate the links.db field ID

Quote Reply
Script to re-numerate the links.db field ID
I have found that because of a problem with the linksid.txt file some records have the same ID.

Did anyone know how to give all records a unique number?

Dominique,
link-s@gmx.net
http://www.softds.ch/links/
Quote Reply
Re: Script to re-numerate the links.db field ID In reply to
Download the links.db file and import it into Excel (or some such program). Renumber there, save it as a text file, and upload. Remember to adjust the linksid.txt to reflect one more than the new last number.

Hope this helps. Smile
-Joyce
Quote Reply
Or you can put the following script in your data directory as chg_id.pl. chmod the script to 755 and chmod the data directory to 777, and run the script:

Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
# -------------------------------------------
require "../links.cfg";
require "$db_lib_path/db_utils.pl";
require "$db_lib_path/links.def";

$counter = 0;
$ENV{'REQUEST_METHOD'} and (print "Content-type: text/plain\n\n");
open (DB, "<$db_links_name")
or print "Unable to open links database 'links.db'. Reason: $!\n" and exit;
open (DBOUT, ">$db_script_path/data/links_new.db")
or print "Unable to open output database. Reason: $!\n" and exit;
LINE: while (<DB> ) {
/^#/ and next LINE; # Skip comment Lines.
/^\s*$/ and next LINE; # Skip blank lines.
chomp; # Remove trailing new line.
$counter++;
@rec = &split_decode($_);
$rec[$db_key] = $counter;
print DBOUT &join_encode(&array_to_hash(0, @rec));
}
close DB;
close DBOUT;
open (DBID, ">$db_script_path/data/linksid_new.txt")
or print "Unable to open linksid.txt. Reason: $!" and exit;
print DBID $counter;
close DBID;
# ---------------------------------------------

You will now have a new file, links_new.db, in your data directory. Check it over to be sure everything worked. Then rename your links.db file to links_org.db (just in case you need to restore it) and rename links_new.db to links.db. You should now have a completely renumbered links database. You will also have a linksid_new.txt in the data directory. You should rename linksid.txt to linksid_org.txt and then rename linksid_new.txt to linksid.txt.

After you are satisfied that all is well, you can delete the links_org.db and linksid_org.txt files.

By the way, I would ensure that you have no records in validate.db or modified.db before doing this.

I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited May 27, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Tanks a lot for the help.
Worked perfect.

Dominique
http://www.softds.ch/links/
Quote Reply
Would Bobsie's script above work to add the numbering to an existing non-links db file that I want to import to links? At the moment I am figuring I may have to add the numbers by hand. I am on the Mac and do not own Excel, which is what many of you said you use for converting database files to links. I have BBedit, which has a search and replace function that I think I can use to add the required links fields, but I am not sure if there is an easy way to add numbering...
Just a point of info for a newbie, how do you run Bobsie's script? When he says run the script in the instructions, I am not sure how this is done.
Thanks,
-V

[This message has been edited by V Silly (edited October 14, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Hi!

Is there any workaround for this program if I'm using remote ratings mod? People use their ID to rate their site remotely!

thnks!

Quote Reply
I responded to your duplicate post.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Re: [Stealth] Script to re-numerate the links.db field ID In reply to
I tried running this script but got an internal server error (everything is cmod corectly so not sure why?)

So then I tried to just do it manually, but when I export from excel and save, it doesn't have the same format. What are the steps to export and get the same format as the .db file which is using | as its delimeter. Or, do I have to import into access and then export to get this format. I remember having to do that for something else awhile back.

Tawnya

Last edited by:

Tawnya: May 13, 2005, 11:11 AM