Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

New Mod? Help Needed!!

Quote Reply
New Mod? Help Needed!!
Few days ago I was thinking how to make my Links system better. Now I have one, but I'm not good in perl, so I hope someone can help me.

I hope you understand me... it's very hard to describe what I want.

First of all I'm using info.cgi to display dynamically my detailed view pages. At the moment it contains very little information about specified resource - date, URL, e-mail, rating and other default things, but now I want to add some extra information to my detailed view page what will give visitor more information about specified resource.

For example in Sponsors category:
CPM:
CPC:
Minimum pay-out:
Etc.

Another problem is that my index contains very different categories - Sponsors, Web Space, Bulletin Boards, etc. so I cant use exactly same variables for every directory. Of course I need that visitors can type their "extra information" to textboxes in Add Link selection when they are adding a new resource.

Can anyone help me? Where to start? Is anybody interested in developing something like that.

Thank You!

Quote Reply
Re: New Mod? Help Needed!! In reply to
The way I would go about doing it (maybe not the best/shortest way but should work fine and would do what you need it to)

Add new fields for each of the things you want to include (CPM etc..). in links.db

Then I'd probably create a seperate detailed sub and template for each different category.

Next in info.cgi I'd use if statements. If category equals cpm then go to detailed_cpm. etc...

Finally I'd alter add.cgi and modify.cgi:

Either just add all of the fields to each one or...

Or you could make a seperate add and modify form depending on which category they're in.

Good Luck!

Glenn

http://mir.spaceports.com/~glennu/