Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Members only links site

Quote Reply
Members only links site
Does anyone know of a mod that makes links a members only site? I would like to set up links to force the user to sign-up and receive a log-in name and password to access links (Something like coolsavings.com), I would like the registration e-mail address and name to go to the newsletter email.db, I know I'm asking alot, and I have searched for this in the forum with no luck... If anyone knows of a mod like this let me know....
Thanks
George
Quote Reply
Re: Members only links site In reply to
There is no Mod that does this...It has been discussed before without any solutions.

Some suggestions...

1) Use .htaccess to protect your links directory. There are scripts available at www.cgi-resources.com for adding users to the .htpasswd file.

2) In terms of the email.db request, this will be a bit tricky to do...But you could write a "copy" script that takes the content of the .htpasswd and puts it into the email.db file.

But again, there are no formal Mods that will do what you want.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
You know that could be accomplished easily if you don't have too big of a database..

I have played with this idea for my website..

I created my main page, which was a duplicated copy of my real page, and all the links point you to a register.cgi script. Once you register, the script sends out an email with your userID and password, the script also opens the userdb file and adds the new login to it, then closes it again.
Once you log in to the main site once, it sends out a cookie on your computer for faster logins..

Fairly simple if you know how to parse files/ open & save files using perl.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
You know that could be accomplished easily if you don't have too big of a database..
True...if you have let's say less than 500 users and you only store usernames and passwords in the user.db file. However, if you have a lot fields in this database and if you have more than 500 users, then processing would be a nightmare with a flat file system...that is why using MySQL or MSSQL is better...and with Links SQL, you can more easily set-up a members only site.

In Reply To:
Once you log in to the main site once, it sends out a cookie on your computer for faster logins..
Coupled with a session database/table, this would be effective.

Regards,

Eliot Lee