Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Link Modification error through admin panel

Quote Reply
Link Modification error through admin panel
I've installed another version of links on my site without any problems...I changed all the settings in the appropriate files, and added a link manually through the admin and all went well. But, when I tried to modify the link from the admin, it comes up saying:

Error: Unable to Modify Listings

There were problems modifying the record: (can't find requested record)
Please fix any errors and submit the record again.

The link is link id 2 and it's sitting right their in the links.db just like I entered it...so it knows where the file is. I have it chmod 644, and have also tried it at 666 with no luck.

I've checked & rechecked my config files but can't find any errors....anyone know what would cause this?

Thanks

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Re: Link Modification error through admin panel In reply to
Please make sure that the modify.db exist.

Quote Reply
Thanks atlas, but I do have modified.db in the data folder with the correct permissions....

Another sort of odd thing...when I click on view a link and then click on List All, I get this:

There were problems with the search. Reason: no search terms specified
Please fix any errors and submit the record again.

And I do have that lone link in their waiting to be modified....

I won't let me delete from the admin either...says no listing specified

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
I've just now noticed that when I go to add a new link, it doesn't automatically add in the next link ID number either....I'm going on 8 1/2 hours this one problem, so any other help is really appreciated!

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
Sounds like one or all of the following problems:

1) Corrupted linksid.txt file. Check this file and make sure that it contains the last ID number in your links.db file.

2) Lack of validate.db file in your data folder. Add this file and make sure that the permissions are set to 666.

3) Folder/file permission of your data folder/files. Make sure that the data folder is set to 777 or 766 depending on what your server allows, and make sure that all the database files in the data folder is set to 666.

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot, but I have everything like you listed...I just checked again to make sure, but got the same results. I can view the link when I type in the id number with no problems, if I validate a link, I get Check which records (0.00694444444444444) you wish to validate and then press "Validate ".

If I try to delete the link, it says no records specified

Try to modify & get the error, try to add and it doesn't add the id.....very strange indeed!

I think I'll just copy my templates & then start fresh with a new version of links. I've added so many mods and changes to this over time, I don't even know what's what anymore....and just when I thought I was about done!

Thanks again for your response Smile

Perl Hopefull
Quote Reply
GOT IT!!!!! or at least narrowed it down Smile

I did a complete start of the script again and uploaded everything without any errors. I then added my links.def file to restore my previous fields and then went to add a link,
and no number was automatically entered in the ID field. I again restored the original and it worked fine!

OK...what are the limitations on the links.def file? I currently have 143 fields, (but they are mainly checkboxes so they don't take up much room in the database).

** UPDATE **

I still don't know if their are any limitations on the number of fields in links.def, but I figured out what the problems was... $db_key = 22;

I don't know why this field is such a problem, as it's used in my other version of links for keywords, but I deleted one field at a time and this is the one....2 days of work for that! Oh well...what better way to learn...builds character or something like that :-)
Quote Reply
What was #22? Maybe you had a typo?

Andy

webmaster@ace-installer.com
http://www.ace-installer.com
Quote Reply
I have field 22 as key...not sure what happened, but glad it's over Smile

Perl Hopefull