Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Idea: personalised pages

Quote Reply
Idea: personalised pages
Hi guys,
I came up with this idea (probably not the first one), a few days ago, when I sat going through my site layout.

As I like to have descriptions for most of my listed sites, the list of a category tend to be rather long to browse through. It would be nice, if the user could register with a personalised page, where he can select his prefered layout (like showing descriptions in the categories and things like that).
Do any of you think it would be possible and/or have any ideas how to do it (or maybe a hidden desire in doing it? Smile)

- Jesper
Quote Reply
Re: Idea: personalised pages In reply to
This has been discussed before in this forum.

Search for "personalized", "cookies", "PHP", etc. Also, this issue has been addressed and discussed in the Perl/CGI Forum.

It is better to program options like this through MySQL tables rather than flat files. You would have to create a user database and then use a combination of preferences set in the MySQL table for scalibility and cookies for authenticating users.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center
Quote Reply
Hi Eliot,
Thank you very much for your swift reply! I'll browse through the Perl/CGI forum and do some searches.

Thank you!

Jesper
Quote Reply
You're welcome.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
* Check Resource Center