Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Getting rid of jump.cgi altogether

Quote Reply
Getting rid of jump.cgi altogether
I am trying to figure out how to remove jump.cgi completely from my output pages when generated, so that only the actual link URL will be added to the generated pages ... I operate a popular sports links website that uses links 2, and many people who have posted links have asked if I could do this.

Thanks in advance for your replies :-)
Quote Reply
Re: [world2er] Getting rid of jump.cgi altogether In reply to
In the template directory, find 'link.html' which looks like this:

<ul><li><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>

<%if Description%>
<span class="descript">- <%Description%></span>
<%endif%>

<%if isNew%>
<small><sup class="new">new</sup></small>
<%endif%>

<%if isPopular%>
<small><sup class="pop">pop</sup></small>
<%endif%>

<small class="date">(Added: <%Date%> Hits: <%Hits%> Rating: <%Rating%> Votes: <%Votes%>) <a href="<%db_cgi_url%>/rate.cgi?ID=<%ID%>">Rate It</a></small>

</ul>

Change the first line to look like this:

<ul><li><a class="link" href="<%URL%>"><%Title%></a>

Question: why does it matter to the linkee if you use jump.cgi? If you don't use it, you cannot keep stats on what sites are being visited (Cool). You could just add the <%URL%> tag to the end of the description, and the address of the site will show, non-linked.

Leonard
aka PerlFlunkie

Last edited by:

PerlFlunkie: May 9, 2003, 10:22 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [PerlFlunkie] Getting rid of jump.cgi altogether In reply to
Thanks PerlFlunkie Smile

BTW ... Why does it matter to the linkee ...

The site which I own & operate is a Google PR 7 ranked, site top to bottom ... Link pop is everything these days ... Also, Many automated link verifiers have problems going through a cgi script, even though a clickthru still lands you at the same spot ...
Quote Reply
I think what PerlFlukie is refering to, is that your hists outward going are not going to be tracked. jump.cgi tracks how many people are going out from your site, to another. If you remove references to jump.cgi this tracking can no longer be monitored, thus the 'pop' links will not work.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Getting rid of jump.cgi altogether In reply to
Hmmmm, well let me ask you this ... In terms of when my site gets crawled by the search engine spiders, say googlebot comes to the link "widget company" which is jump id 1. Will googlebot follow thru to www.widgetco.com, or stop at /cgi-bin/jump.cgi?id=1 ?
Quote Reply
Should follow through, at least it does on the sites I have setup which use jump.cgi.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] Getting rid of jump.cgi altogether In reply to
Ok then ... I guess I will leave it the way it is ...

One last question though ... What are the variables for category keywords & description ?

Thanks a ton :-)
Quote Reply
how about instead of

Code:
<ul><li><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%Title%></a>

how about

Code:
<ul><li><a class="link" href="<%db_cgi_url%>/jump.cgi?ID=<%ID%>"><%URL%></a>

Just an idea. Yep, I read the posts on the search engine stuff.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
One last question though ... What are the variables for category keywords & description ?

Put <%GT::Template::dump%> in your template, refresh the page, and you will see a list of variables/tags that are available to you on that page.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Quote Reply
your variables are defined in the %db_def section of the links.def and category.def files.

In category.def I'm guessing <%Description%> and ???<%MetaKeywords%>???.

Gene
"The older I get, the more I admire competence, just simple competence in any field from adultery to zoology."