Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Email by Category

Quote Reply
Email by Category
Hello!

Anybody know how to send email to just link owners in a particular category?

I'd like to be able to choose. Sometimes, I want to send mail to the whole db, and other times I want to send to certain categories.

I'd want this to be flexible so I could change as my needs do.

Many thanks for any suggestion.

------------------
www.armynavy.com

Quote Reply
Re: Email by Category In reply to
Have you tried clicking on the link "Emailing Link Owners" in the admin controlpanel? There you search on all users in the category of your choice.
Quote Reply
Thanks!

I didn't know that Links already had this feature. I thought I could only send mail to the entire database.

Much appreciated.

------------------
www.armynavy.com

Quote Reply
 Smile
Quote Reply
How about emailing link owners in a category and it's subcategories at the same time?

I can do them in a category, then go to each subcategory, but link owners who have a single listing in the root category and it's corresponding subcategories get emailed multiple times. (Im using the AltCategories Mod)

(I know this is an old thread but it's the closest search match to what I was looking for)

------------------
Skotty Flynn

[This message has been edited by skotty (edited April 23, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
but link owners who have a single listing in the root category and it's corresponding subcategories get emailed multiple times. (Im using the AltCategories Mod)

Well...the only solution I see...is to create a tmp text file with all email addresses already sent to in other categories...Then check this file in the sub html_mail_form routine in the admin_html.pl file.

Not very easy to do...but this is the logic you need to use.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply

Quote:
Not very easy to do...

Thought so, but it would sure make things better for the link owners Smile
Quote Reply
Hello,

While we are on this topic, I would like to ask a related question, which I think have asked before.

Is there a mod to send email notifications by category, wherein the user selects which categoires that he/she is interested in, to get site updates.

Thanks
Quote Reply

Quote:
Is there a mod to send email notifications by category, wherein the user selects which categoires that he/she is interested in, to get site updates.

Yes...socrates, this has been discussed before...with no solution.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Thanks, Eliot. Well, it would be real nice and useful mod (at least for a few of us) if someone decides to hack.

Looking forward for a solution from an expert (whoever you are, wherever you are). Alex, where are you? :-)