Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

DMOZ.org and Links

Quote Reply
DMOZ.org and Links
Is there any program out there which can read the DMOZ.org files and load it into Links?

I want to use DMOZ's structure_rdf for my Links categories and then load it using the data from content_rdf.
Quote Reply
Re: DMOZ.org and Links In reply to
Not with LINKS 2.0...But there is a RDF dump for DMOZ that works with LINKS SQL.

BTW: This has been requested and discussed before in this forum. Please try to use the Forum's search engine.

Thank you.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Former Handle: Eliot
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center
* Thinking out of the box (codes) is not only fun, but effective.

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot.

Actually, I searched the board and found several threads on DMOZ ... after I posted this message.

I followed all the links looking for parse_rdf.pl (posted mostly by jcokos) but it did not get me anywhere. It either took me directly or indirectly to Hyperseek. Hmm?
Quote Reply
Welp...there is a RDF dump for registered LINKS SQL users.

Buy a license for the SQL version and it can be yours.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
I already made up my mind to buy Links SQL for three reasons: (1) Links 2.0 is VERY good, (2) the 5,000 links limit is too small for what I intend to use it for, and (3) I already spent plenty of time and effort customizing Links -- and it handled all of them gracefully.

The RDF dump is the last thing that I want to try before finalizing my decision. I already have the structure and category RDFs.

Throughout the board, I noticed a consistent push for Links SQL. Your reply reiterated the same -- which I hope you did not intend to be a hard sell.

I never even considered nor looked at HyperSeek but when I ended up on their site, the hard sell turned me off. Links is very good, we all know that, and it pretty much sells itself. The great support of people like you and the Links user community makes it even more appealing.

I have few more questions if you don't mind.

(1) I use templates with minimal mods to site_html_templates and nph-build. Will the upgrade affect them or will they be transparent?

(2) Links SQL comes with installation. Will Alex personally do that or may I request, let's say you, to install it? I can install it myself but then it does not really reduce the price.

(3) Does it take advantage of MySQL features such as auto-sequencing, etc.?
Quote Reply

Quote:
which I hope you did not intend to be a hard sell

Not at all...I am just being realistic and providing the best advice that I can.

I am in the process of re-writing my modifications for LINKS 2.0 and making them work with LINKS SQL...and will hopefully be upgrading in the next couple weeks.

Quote:
I use templates with minimal mods to site_html_templates and nph-build. Will the upgrade affect them or will they be transparent?

Any Mods you have implemented to "open" the LINKS 2.0 database will have to be re-written to access and write to the MySQL tables. But LINKS SQL does use templates.

Quote:
Links SQL comes with installation. Will Alex personally do that or may I request, let's say you, to install it? I can install it myself but then it does not really reduce the price.

The "Alex Installation" comes with the license and there are no discounts for installing it yourself.

Quote:
Does it take advantage of MySQL features such as auto-sequencing, etc.?

Yes...but some people do turn off this feature, especially if people are using external mods like the External Rate-It Mod. Re-sequencing the IDs is a pain for these types of Mods.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

Quote Reply
Thanks for your help again.

BTW, I got the URL for parsing RDF files directly from John. It will require minor changes to get it to work with Links but it shouldn't be too bad.

www.iwebsupport.com/files/rdf-hs.txt

I did not make any changes to the "data access" portion of Links so I think the upgrade will go smoothly.

[This message has been edited by JohnE (edited May 09, 2000).]
Quote Reply

Quote:
It will require minor changes to get it to work with Links but it shouldn't be too bad.

Don't hold your breath. Many people have had problems with it and it is a bit cumbersome in terms of data storage and parsing for flat file systems like LINKS 2.0. The RDF script for LINKS SQL is more stable and also is more efficient in terms of using server resources.

Quote:
I did not make any changes to the "data access" portion of Links so I think the upgrade will go smoothly.

Could be...however, if you have mods like the Send Link or Recommend It or Mods similar to this...you will have to re-write them to access the MySQL tables.

Although there are counterpart Mods, like badlink and recommend it for the SQL version.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee....
Anthro TECH, L.L.C
anthrotech.com
* Check Resource Center

[This message has been edited by AnthroRules (edited May 09, 2000).]