Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

CD-Now search results

Quote Reply
CD-Now search results
Just a quick question. I got the Amazon "mod" working to have the search results search Amazon for matching results there, but we are wanting to start another site with Links and want to be able to do the same thing with CD-Now that we are doing with Amazon.

Does anyone know how to do this? CD-Now doesn't list their keywords in the search results URL like Amazon does.

Thanks in advance for any help. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: CD-Now search results In reply to
Hmmm...that's a weird setup. It looks like what gets returned by the search is a coded pagename.

Do they provide remote search forms (I didn't see any samples of what you can use on your site...then again I didn't look too hard *LOL*)? Maybe that will clue you on how to send the query.
Quote Reply
I'm not exactly sure what you are looking for.

To set up a new set of searches, pass your search term back to your form, and let the user press 'search' to send it.

Quote Reply
Believe it or not but your input got me to thinking about the problem, and after staring at the solution for an hour while trying to set up a form with hidden variables (never do things the easy way first), I finally saw the solution. It's 1:30 am, so give me some credit. Smile

Here's how to send your visitors on a search of CD Now from a link that says something like "Search CD-Now for Madonna":

<a href="http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/from=YourCDNowID/RP/CDN/FIND/displaypop.html?string=$term>Search CD Now for $term</a>

$term passes the keywords from your visitor's search through the Links database to be parsed through the CD Now system. The only problem is that it displays the %20 between words if you have more than one word in your search keywords. Any ideas on this one?

I hope this helps someone else. Smile

Teresa
Quote Reply
Change the seconde $term (in the link text) to $query and you won't get the ascii character.