Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

AltCategories Mod

Quote Reply
AltCategories Mod
When I try to add a link to more than one AltCategory (ie select multiple catgories in the alt category field in addition to the category field) it won't build the link into any of the alt categories. It works for only one alt category.

Is there a way to allow for multiple alt categories?

i should also mention that it worked ONCE. I don't know why it worked that one time, but needless to say it is frustrating trying to get it to work again. Are there conditions that I'm overlooking. Or was that just a cosmic fluke?

Chris

ps. I've also managed to get cold fusion to work in my garage. Once. Smile
Quote Reply
Re: AltCategories Mod In reply to
Hi Eliot;

You must be a teacher, a head shrinker or my Dad. Only they answer questions with questions. Smile

But since you've given me a nudge to think this one through...

I tried adding multiple alt categories successfully after installing the altcategories mod. This I know for sure.

Since the mod only allows changes from the admin panel, I then made the changes (as posted here somewhere.) that would allow altcategories to be added from the add.html and modify.html templates.

I also added the <br> in order to list the altcategories instead of having them listed with the "|" seperator as posted in the same thread.

I guess I should look at that again.

Any more thoughts in the way of an answer?

Chris
Quote Reply
What codes are you using in the site_html_templates.pl file? What changes have you made that NOW it doesn't work when at one time it did?

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

[This message has been edited by Eliot (edited January 12, 2000).]
Quote Reply
How about copying the exact codes you used in your add and modify routines in the site_html_templates.pl file? Also, what codes are you using in your template files?

BTW: The reason I ask questions is that if I read something that is ambiguous, I cannot understand the problem. So, that is why I ask questions to fully understand the problem.

Sorry if that annoys you. Would you like me to spit out an answer that doesn't address your problem?? I can do that if you'd like.

Regards,

------------------
Eliot Lee
Anthro TECH,L.L.C
www.anthrotech.com
----------------------

Quote Reply
Chris, you left philosopher off your list. Wink
Quote Reply
Eureka! Problem solved.

i couldn't add multiple altcategories because of a change I made to the db_utils.pl file as posted in this forum a while back.

It was as follows:

Code:
exists $in{$name} ? ($in{$name} .= "~~$value") : ($in{$name} = $value);

with this:

Code:
exists $in{$name} ? ($in{$name} .= "<br>$value") : ($in{$name} = $value);
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This changes the format to the list as promised but the DB didn't accept the multiple altcategories when the <br> was present.

I would, however, like to have the altcategories presented in list format as opposed to the unattractive alt1~~alt2~~alt3.

Any ideas that won't be quite as intrusive?

Today's lesson: Don't assume everything on this forum is correctly written.

Chris