Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

Advertising Database

Quote Reply
Advertising Database
Okay I'm using the alternate template mod for categories.db and I want to have a seperate database for all my banner adverts. So if I opt to use sports.html as the category template I want links to pull the id from the advert.db and display that instead of %header%. The fields would be ID|TEMPLT|COMPANY|URL|IMG|HITS
so in the nph-build.cgi there would be some code that would insert the id into %TEMPLT% where the header used to be.

This mod will also help if you show button ads, banners and text ads and want to change them from time to time on each alt template.

Logical steps:
1 Build the advert.db
2 Run new nph-build.cgi
3 nph-build will insert specific ID as defined in each template with url,image and/or text
4 jump.cgi will keep track of # of hits per ID in adverts.db
-------------------------------------------
I think this will help out a lot of people who run linkexchange, 24/7, or just sell space on their sites.

------------------
www.webgotcha.com
[b]admin@webgotcha.com[/b]

[This message has been edited by Denver (edited September 03, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Advertising Database In reply to
hmm... you know.. if i had time.. i would do this.. it's really simple actually.. all you need to have is a ads.db or something and it would be easy from there... in the admin section the add modify delete ads are all done.. (premade admin functions).. some need a little tweaking in db.pl cause a few are made only for links..

then you would just do what jump.cgi does.. do a random thing.. (for the random ones)..

otherwise you collect all the banners in each zone and then do a random pick from that..

simple.. (really)

maybe during christmas i'll do that one

jerry
Quote Reply
I thought it would be easy to do for someone who knows the code. Why not make this another $10.00 code :-) I'll pay! Those folks trying to get webadverts to work might switch to this in a heartbeat! I don't use linkexchange *yuck* BUT I do use linkshare and am considering using the same people NetScape Center uses to show advertisement. So if I could database say all 100 accounts I advertise on my site I could hard code some links and make others random. Jerry, would it be possible to also track how many exposures each banner is getting so we could sell Unique exposures in an ad campaign?

------------------
www.webgotcha.com
[b]admin@webgotcha.com[/b]
Quote Reply
yea.. of course.. exactly like jump.cgi

let's put it this way..

ad.cgi (the one that loads the image) increases the impressions..

go.cgi (the one that the banner is linked to) increases the clicks..

just like jump.cgi

it's really simple..

jerry
Quote Reply
For 'impressions/exposures' you'd need to use SSI, or use the attribute of the IMG tag that allows for a .cgi to return an image value. You'd have to pump the image back to the server, (this is one reason to want to do it this way, rather than in an http:// call).

It's the same way counters were included early on. The source tag pointed to the image generator.

Your 'clicks' could be tallied just as widgetz says, using another copy of jump.cgi minor altered for the ads links, not the urls.

I'm running an all image site, where every link is an image on my site. This is similar to 'banners' in that the images are all called and linked to internally. It's dissimilar, in that I'm not tracking exposures.

Quote Reply
i prefer to use image tags for everything.. i don't like to use ssi..

with images tags you can easily use the referer and figure out which zone to use or make the image source point to ad.cgi?zone=buttons

or something

jerry