Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Links 2.0 : Customization :

3-Level "NEW" Graphics Mod Updated

Quote Reply
3-Level "NEW" Graphics Mod Updated
I am pleased to announce the updating of my 3-Level "NEW" Graphics Mod located at http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...cations/Version_2.x/ .

This update incorporates the use of an "Updated" graphic (only 1 level) as well as the 3 "New" graphics. Using the "Updated" graphic requires the addition of a new field to Links v2.0 called 'DateAdded'. That field will contain the date the resource was added to the database and is never changed. It is used, instead of the link's 'Date' field, to calculate the age of the resource and to determine where/when to display the New or Updated graphics.

The main instruction file covers use of both types of graphics. If you want to use either the "Updated" or 3 "New" graphics by themselves, without using the other, there are separate instruction files, linked from the main instruction file, that tells you how to do that.

As always, if you experience any problem with the mod, you can post your questions here or email me directly.

Enjoy!
Quote Reply
Re: 3-Level "NEW" Graphics Mod Updated In reply to
Very cool, Bobsie.

Thank you!

Phoenix
Quote Reply
Uh oh, bugs have been found with my instructions (not with the mod itself). Thanks go to Brad Richardson for finding them and pointing them out to me. I have already replaced the instruction file involved and the problems were only in the main instruction file, not the stand alone versions of the mod. I will summarize the changes below:

1. In the instructions, I make reference to a variable called $db_new_modified but there isn't any such thing. Change any occurance of $db_new_modified to $db_new_cutoff.

2. The instructions for sub site_html_print_cat were erroneous as I seemed to have forgotten to include the changed code for the New graphics and left the unchanged text code in instead.

I apologize for any problems anyone may have had trying to figure out these errors in the instructions.
Quote Reply
One more "bug" (hopefully the last of them) was discovered in the mod instructions for the updated graphic portion. In the instructions for site_html_templates.pl and site_html.pl, sub site_html_print_cat, I erroneously omitted the following:

Quote:
Comment-out or delete the following line:
$mod = $stats{"$subcat"}[1];

The instruction pages have been updated accordingly. If you do not comment-out or remove that line, the updated graphic will not display after the categories when a link in the category has been updated.

I apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused anyone.

[This message has been edited by Bobsie (edited May 24, 1999).]