Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

huge .tar file being created in data/tmp

Quote Reply
huge .tar file being created in data/tmp
Hi,

It appears that gmail is creating a huge .tar file in the /data/tmp directory (5.5 gigabytes!). Each time I delete the file it returns within 24 hours. Anyone have any idea what is going on there? What are these .tar files for?

I recently (day before the first .tar file was created) upgraded from 2.2.3 to 2.2.4 so it is possible that something happened during that process.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

bob

.:SEAWEAD:.
Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] huge .tar file being created in data/tmp In reply to
Reading this thread, i checked the same on our installation (GM 2.2.0) and find the following:

series of GTTempxxxxxxxx.tmp files and few .zip, .tar, .tgz, .ndx files. Total space occupied being about 170MB. The dates range from as back as May 2004 to present. What is this is not clear to us also. A word from GT on this could see all of us being enlightened on this. Perhaps this could be something to do with FileMan temp files, not sure though :).

HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] huge .tar file being created in data/tmp In reply to
HyTC, I recently received an email from Adrian on this subject that may shed some light. I am not sure how to do what he is requesting. I am pretty inexperienced with command line stuff, if that is what doing a "head filename" is. If you can instruct me I would appreciate it. When I have to do command line stuff I use putty.exe.

bob
Quote:

Hi Bob,

That file was created by GT::TempFile, and gmail doesn't use that module
directly (it's used by other GT modules), so that makes tracking what
created it a little harder. One possible explanation is that someone is
uploading a (really) large file. Next time this happens, can you do a
'head filename' on the file and send me the results?

Adrian

Quote Reply
Re: [baidarkabob] huge .tar file being created in data/tmp In reply to
Hi,

My guess is this would be an aborted file upload. GT::CGI uses GT::TempFile to store file uploads, and I believe if a user presses stop before all the data is transmitted, GT::CGI fatals, and so the TempFile isn't cleaned up. Can you view the files and see if it that sounds reasonable (i.e. it looks like attachments users might have uploaded).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] huge .tar file being created in data/tmp In reply to
Hi Alex, thanks for the reply. I tried viewing a couple of the files but winzip did not do the trick. I will try again and let you know if I get anywhere.

Assuming these are created from an aborted upload... How in the heck could we end up with a 5.5 gigabyte file?

bob

Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] huge .tar file being created in data/tmp In reply to
Hi

A question wrt to terminated uploads:

Using FileMan mod from within Gossamer Mail to upload files to subdomain hosting space. A user has a non writeable file say index.html in his/her account. He/She tries to upload index.html file but since the file is non writeable, would this at the end of process amount to terminated upload? We are finding quite a few files of this type as also from other operations on such non writeable files like "Replace" for example.

The FileMan mod is the one done by Chaz
These can be claned up manually?

Thanks
HyTC

Thanks
HyTC
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] huge .tar file being created in data/tmp In reply to
Hi,

Actually, I was wrong, even if the program fatals, the destructor is still called and the tempfile should be removed. If the program was hard killed (server reboot, ulimit failure, perl seg fault), then that would leave a tmp file around.

Best bet is to view the tmp file to see where it's coming from. The 5 gig file could be from somebody using FileMan/MySQLMan in the admin area and either creating a .tar file of a large directory, or doing a very large sql dump.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.