Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

checking incoming mail

Quote Reply
checking incoming mail
Hi,

I have just installed gossamer-mail 1.0.0a.

The sending of mails is done, but the InBox is always empty.
The settings are: Individual Accounts, sendmail is used.

Is there any trick for setting up the individual accounts ?

I have tried 2 different mail hosts, but no messages are shown.
Thank you for any advice.

have a nice day,

Holger Mali

Quote Reply
Re: checking incoming mail In reply to
I'm having the same problem. I have not had enough time to play with it to find an answer though.

It seems the program is not really looking in the POP boxes, and I'm wondering if in my case it's a problem with the "hard" vs "soft" mail ID's.

http://www.postcards.com
FAQ: http://www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Hi,

i have found, that the "simple" templates are working.

If you use these templates, it is possible to get the mails at the login. The mail is transferred from the pop account into gossamer-mail, the mail in the pop3 account does not longer exist.

But i have not found the difference between the two templates.

best regards

Holger Mali

Quote Reply
Actually I am looking for the same type of answer but my program is not getting any incoming mail at all. It does send mail but setup as individual I don't get any incoming mail at all.

Avery

Quote Reply
Did you check ALL the requirements for this script??? You do need to have unlimited alias addresses.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
We have our own server, there shouldn't be a limit. Its the main domain of the server. Please let me know if that answers your question.

Avery

Quote Reply
Which templates do you use ?

Quote Reply
I haved used both templates and neither work. I send an email to myself with gossamer mail but when I responded to the email I get an error and a rejected mail from the deamon, here is the error I get from the error logs...

[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (636): Getting messages from POP.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi:
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): New pop object created.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): Attempting to connect ..
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): Could not connect to server [110, ØŠï]: Connection refused
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): --> QUIT
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): <--
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): Can't shutdown socket: Transport endpoint is not connected at /home/httpd/mail/cgi-bin/admin/Webmail/POP3.pm line 507.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): POP Object destroyed.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (636): Updating (avery2, 1): total = 0, size = 0, unread = 0
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (636): Updating (avery2, 2): total = 4, size = 1134, unread = 0
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (636): Updating (avery2, 3): total = 0, size = 0, unread = 0
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (636): Template 'home-main.htm' parsed and printed.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (636): Disconnecting from database.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Connecting to database.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Session '6ca8e6da12873f65' authenticated (1).
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Language: /templates/simple/Language.pm loaded.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Updating (avery2, 1): total = 0, size = 0, unread = 0
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Updating (avery2, 2): total = 4, size = 1134, unread = 0
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Updating (avery2, 3): total = 0, size = 0, unread = 0
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Template 'folder-row-short.htm' parsed and returned.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Template 'folder-row-short.htm' parsed and returned.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Template 'home-bottom.htm' parsed and printed.
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (640): Disconnecting from database.

This is the basic error I get when I try to send mail to gossamer mail from the same server.

Thank you,

Avery

Quote Reply
Hi!

In Reply To:
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): Attempting to connect ..
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (636): Could not connect to server [110, ØŠï]: Connection refused
[Wed Jun 28 00:05:35 2000]
The program can't connect to the pop server. Is it running? Do you have the correct POP host specified? Does the POP server have any special restrictions on it (i.e. is it on another machine, and perhaps you can't connect to that machine from the web server)?

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I turned POP on :-) but now I am not getting any errors at all and I am still not getting emails... I get two different errors:

1. When I send from one user to another under gossamer mail I get this at the top of the sent message:

" MAILER-DAEMON... Saved message in /usr/tmp/dead.letter "

2. When I send a message to gossamer mail from out site I get a rejection back to me that says:

Content-Transfer-Encoding: binary
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)

Also I get a small error of:

[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): <-- -ERR Bad login
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): PASS POP Login failed: -ERR Bad login
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): --> QUIT
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): <-- +OK Sayonara
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): Closed connection.
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): POP Object destroyed.
[

I do not even have a clue as to why its not letting mail go from gossamer account to gossamer account. The external mail to a gossamer account also has me pretty blown away. I do use the correct password because at the beginning of that same error I get a little comment like this:

[Wed Jun 28 23:58:58 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (655): Getting messages from POP.
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:58 2000] webmail.cgi:
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:58 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): New pop object created.
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:58 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): Attempting to connect ..
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): <-- +OK POP3 nerdsmail.com v7.59 server ready
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): Connected to www.ourmailaddress.com
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): Attempting to log in via clear text ...
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): --> USER avery3
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (659): Connecting to database.
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi:
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): <-- +OK User name accepted, password please
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): --> PASS blue22
[Wed Jun 28 23:58:59 2000] webmail.cgi: Webmail (659): Session '554c4005830973d1' authenticated (1).

If anyone could help me out please let me know,

Avery

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I do not even have a clue as to why its not letting mail go from gossamer account to gossamer account.
All mail is treated the same. If it goes from Gossamer Mail account to another account, it still goes through the mail program (as it may need to go to a pop account).

In Reply To:
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): <-- -ERR Bad login
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): PASS POP Login failed: -ERR Bad login
[Wed Jun 28 23:59:02 2000] webmail.cgi: POP3 (655): --> QUIT
This means the username/password or hostname for your pop account is wrong. You need to double check this. Try getting the mail from Eudora or some other external mail program and make sure that you can log in with the same username/password/hostname you have set up in Gossamer Mail.

Hope this helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
When I check mail through POP mail with a user account that has been created by me: like my user account then I can check it. But gossamer mail doesn't seem to be creating POP mail accounts, even when I look into the setup.

Thank you,

Avery Brooks

Quote Reply
I did something interesting... I added a user on my server because the mail domain for gossamer mail is my main domain name for this server. Then I created an email in gossamer mail and then sent an email to the user name. It worked!! Now here is the problem, why isn't gossamer mail creating the users for the mail? Or am I off track?

Right now I can create a user on the server and then create an account in gossamer mail and it works fine. If I don't create a user account on the server manually then it does not send email to the server at all, the server rejects the mail.

Thank you for your time,

Avery

Quote Reply
Also, here again is the rejection error .. ----- Transcript of session follows -----

550 randy1@youguessedit.com ... User unknown
554 /no/such/directory/dead.letter... cannot open /no/such/directory/dead.letter: No such file or directory
Reporting-MTA: dns; youguessedit.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2000 02:09:10 -0600

Avery

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
Right now I can create a user on the server and then create an account in gossamer mail and it works fine. If I don't create a user account on the server manually then it does not send email to the server at all, the server rejects the mail.
Correct, Gossamer Mail does not actually create/delete pop accounts. This is way to system dependant to do this. If you are using the pop feature where each account is an individual pop, then you need to tie in the creation/deletion of accounts. We are looking at providing an easy API to do this in the next version.

If you want to auto create accounts, the best way is to just have all mail go to one pop box and have Gossamer Mail sort that box.

Hope that helps!

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Oh, I see the problem. When I spoke to your main guy, I believe it is Jack? But that really doesn't matter; he said there is POP mail support for users. I guess he ment one account, you did say its going to be ready in the next release right? I bought this program for the POP service, I had also bought Solutions Scripts Alias Mail but they do not support POP mail, so that is why I have been having all the problems.

Is there any time on the update? I would like to get my hands on it for the forwarding, POP mail and all the other wonderful things I have heard...

Thank you Alex, I do have to say you give much better support than Solutions Scripts they have some major issues.

Avery Brooks

Quote Reply
I found another place you might want to look at: I setup the "Individual Account - means that all users have their own POP accounts. Email is checked each time the user logs in to Gossamer Mail." I guess this could also confuse people. Unless I am totally off base but it seems that Individual Accounts should have their own POP mail accounts on the server.

Please let me know what your thoughts are, I do appreciate it.

Avery Brooks

Quote Reply
Thanks! It does support POP in that you can have one Gossamer User => One POP box. However it doesn't handle the auto-creation and auto-deletion of pop boxes as that is very system dependant. Where this would be useful is in a service based email system where there is a validation before signing up. This would allow the admin to setup the pop box when accounts are approved.

It will still take some integration on the next version, but there will be a nice API to use. The reason is, on some mail systems a POP box => a UNIX user account. So to create a pop box, you need to create a user, and that requires root access => it can't be done from the browser. We plan to support standard installations of sendmail + qmail, and it should be easy to adopt to other mail systems.

As for a release date, we are looking at beginning of August. If you need to get going sooner, we can have a look at your system and see how pops are created and see what we can do. Email me a message or give me a call with login + root access.

We also plan to offer mail server setup as well. We will install a tuned version of qmail that will integrate seamlessly into the product. More details on this later this week.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I found another place you might want to look at: I setup the "Individual Account - means that all users have their own POP accounts. Email is checked each time the user logs in to Gossamer Mail." I guess this could also confuse people.
They do! The part that is missing is the auto setup/delete of the pop boxes. When using "Individual Mode" the persons username => name of the pop box. So when it logs on, it checks the pop account with that username/password.

In shared mode, all mail goes to one pop account and there is a script that goes through that one account every minute or so and distributes mail to the proper Gossamer Mail account.

Hope that clears things up, sorry about the confusion!

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thank you so much for being very clear. I run Redhat 6.1 and I am sure a lot of others do too, if you need a test person I am your man. Let me know if I can help in anyway, I really appreciate your honesty and support. Because a lot of other places don't give either.

Avery Brooks

Quote Reply
Okay, I have it installed in POP (individual) mode and there are Linux/UNIX mailboxes for each individual. Still, I cannot get GossamerMail to see the email in the mailbox for the one user I configured (me). I am certain that the username and password are correct. I can, however, see the email with my normal email client. Where can I look to find the problem? What should I check?

Or is there a program I am supposed to be running from cron that updates the inbox? I have seen references to that in this forum, but cannot find anything about it.

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com
http://goodstuff.orphanage.com/
Quote Reply
Hi Bobsie,

You should make sure that:

1. You have <%Webmail::get_pop%> in your template when you want to check your mail.

If you do and still no mail is getting pulled in. Edit Webmail.pm, set debug to 1, and then look at the error logs. Look for POP(##): ... some message here. Cut and paste it and I can offer some clues.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
I did a search and could not find the <%Webmail::get_pop%> tag in any template. Which template is it supposed to be in?

I also cannot change the configuration from the admin screen. I keep getting a 403 error.

The odd thing is, I can send email using Webmail but I cannot see anything that comes in (but I can when using my normal email client). In fact, the page seems to continually try to load even though it says "Document Done" in my Netscape 4.7 status line.

Another problem seems to be that, when I login, all the graphics in the top frame of the user screen are "broken graphic" images until I run my mouse pointer across them. Then they appear normally. They disappear completely when I do any action and do not reappear until I run the pointer across them again.

The "debug" setting has always been "1" but I do not see any error log. Where should it be written to?

I really do not understand all these problems as I know I followed the step-by-step instructions in the readme.txt file to the letter. In fact, I have uninstalled and reinstalled a number of times with the same results. I must be missing something somewhere but just can't seem to figure out where.

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com
Quote Reply
Oops, my mistake. I did find the <%Webmail::get_pop%> tag... in home-main.html. Sorry about that.

- Bobsie
bobsie@orphanage.com