Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Using GM as an account manager

Quote Reply
Using GM as an account manager
I'm looking to do something with GM that I'm not sure is possible without major coding experience. I'll use the package even if this can't be done, but what I'm about to describe would make administration 10x easier. I've just ordered it and don't have it installed yet, so I'm not completely familiar with the internals...

It's basically a conditional for every user's profile. IF they have filled in [info here, a credit card # for example], THEN allow them to access a certain resource on the server. Or perhaps someone has another idea on how to use it in this manner. Doing it seamlessly is the primary objective here.

Also, this is a priority but might not be as difficult: outputting a text file for all accounts (or better yet, for only accounts that have cc info entered), formatted to work with Authorize.net.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

Quote Reply
Re: Using GM as an account manager In reply to
1) I would add a column in the USERS table called something like Authenticated (ENUM -> Yes/No). This would be used to check whether the user has access to the script or not...basically, it would involve hacking the AUTHENTICATION subroutine in the GM modules to check against this field...if yes, allow access.

2) I would NOT store credit card numbers in databases. You should only store these locally in an internal computer system/application, like MS Access and lock it so that only account managers and administrators can view records. What you can do is EXPORT data from the USERS table and import it into your MS Access database or other automatic account tracking program, which should NOT be externally Web-enabled.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thanks for the input, Eliot. How about doing that to allow access to another page or program on the domain, instead of access to GM? Is that a whole new ballgame?

In other words, you've got a free account in GM, but to gain access to this other resource you must be "verified," as you mentioned.

Thanks again!

Quote Reply
You can use the AUTHENTICATION process to access other .cgi scripts that use GT modules...in terms of restricting access to web pages within folders, you would have to upload those pages as BLOB fields within your database and then allow access accordingly.

And for the "verification" process, you would have to add another column in the USERS table that will control levels of access to other areas in your web site.

It would entail quite a bit of hacking, but it can be done...especially with the centralized authentication for all its products that GT is working on.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Not seamless, but a workaround for accepting credit cards (without code hacking) is easy enough. The downside is everyone is validated after entering their username, but before entering their credit card. This isn't a problem as those users who don't go on to pay (not many as it turns out) and those paying by check, I just nip into admin and mark their account as Not Validated.

You edit the join_success page so as not to redirect to the login. I don't know how Authorize.net works, but with WorldPay I can pass the users name and domain through the payment process, so the new address appears on the "payment complete" page along with a login. After signing up users are asked to immediately pay by card or check, otherwise their address will be deleted. I've found most users do pay, probably more to do with how the signup page is designed (http://example.com/webmail.html).

Before buying GM I thought integrating signups with credit card orders would be awkward, but it works quite well, and without any code alterations. I'd be interested to know how much you are charging for your own webmail service?

Regards

Jason

Quote Reply
I wasn't talking about charging for webmail... but charging for another part of the site. Free mail will be available to anyone, but it would be convenient if people could just edit that profile instead of having to create an entirely new database to sign up for the member's area.

I think that (two databases) is the answer though because I won't be able to alter GMail to do it. (and having the html for the member's site within GMail cgi isn't attractive, in my opinion).

Anyway, at least it won't be hard to make it all look integrated to the user!

Quote Reply
Look over GMail::Auth.pm. Maybe you can create a new table to cross-reference GM member ID to members who have paid for this separate service and modify/use Auth.pm to authenticate off of the GM member base through in a separate program. I agree that it would be cleaner to separate the programs.

Regards,
Charlie

Quote Reply
I don't agree...the authentication process in GM and other GT products will allow you to use other scripts and use that same authentication process. Simple matter of adding another column in the USERS table and then reference this column check in the authentication scheme for other sections of your web site.

No need to use another third party software for authentication purposes or another database of USERS, that will he hellacious to manage. Use ONE USERS table, but add switch columns in it (ENUM fields that contain different values).

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
I think that's over my head because then I'd have to worry about how to protect the directory from people who aren't authenticated... streamline the whole thing.

I know a lot is possible within GM but for me it's just easier to link to the signup form (which uses another database and a cgi setup to allow the user to delete/edit the account) within the email interface. That program automagically protects the directory with .htaccess. I know, old way of doing it but it should work smoothly.

Question: I haven't tried it yet but when the users go to sign up for the protected area, is there a way to call up the information used for their GM account and place that info in the appropriate value="blah" for the form, so that they wouldn't have to re-enter the data? It's a matter of digging it out of the database, and I'm imagining there is a simple way of doing that within a GM template or something... does that sound right?

Quote Reply
Uh...make all your data in that folder SCRIPT BASED, like uploaded data as BLOB types for complete web pages in that folder...pugdog gave an excellent explanation about BLOB types in the Custom Jobs Forum! Don't use .htaccess for end-user access...make it script based!

Regards,

Eliot Lee Wink
http://anthrotech.com/
Quote Reply
Hi,

We can create Auth plugins fairly quickly and cheaply to integrate Gossamer Mail into your site. For example, our latest version of vBulletin plugin, integrates Gossamer Mail into vBulletin, and allows you to give access to only specific vBulletin user groups making it a great "paid feature".

Send an email to info@gossamer-threads.com if you'd like to get something built for you.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.