Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Remote POP Check Mail

Quote Reply
Remote POP Check Mail
Does gossamer-mail have this feature of setting a time interval of checking remte pop account rather than having to click Check Mail everytime. Say can a user set that Remote POP a/c is checked every 15 minutes automatically for a valid session?

Or better still can there be something like incoming.pl which does the Admin Set cron checks and downloads the email to email account. This could be a better proposition from server load point of view...

HyTC

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Aug 31, 2004, 5:32 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Remote POP Check Mail In reply to
There is such a feature, but we disabled it (I think there were some reports of it not working correctly). You just need to uncomment the configuration option in options_mailbox.htm. There's also a bug in the pop_stream_hidden.htm template that needs fixing:
Code:
--- gmail/data/templates/brewt/pop_stream_hidden.htm 2004/02/22 08:44:40 1.12
+++ gmail/data/templates/brewt/pop_stream_hidden.htm 2004/05/14 20:56:12 1.13
@@ -120,9 +120,11 @@
}
var t = <%options_mailbox_download_time%> * 60 * 1000;
var disp = <%options_mailbox_download_time%>;
- current = "Waiting " + disp + " minute(s) to check";
+ update_text("Waiting " + disp + " minute(s) to check");
+ count = 1;
+ total = 1000;
+ update_bar();
setTimeout("restart();", t);
- top.status_bar.progress_to(0);
<%endif%>
</script>

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Remote POP Check Mail In reply to
This also does not work:

Check Mail upon login set to Yes
Mail Download Interval set to 15 minutes
User logs in
POP up box opens but never really does anything and sits there

The box always has this displayed below the speedbar:
Checking Mail... myowndomain.com

Additionally, at any instant if a User Clicks on Check EMail, again the pop up box opens but never does anything and just sists there.

If the same is supposed to work with the Pop Up Box always being opened, then what happens is a user closes the POP Up box just to ensure that he is working with a minimum set of browsers open?

Could there be a script which functions like incoming.pl and works through cron running in background and acting upon such accounts where Remote Account has been configured for one reason:

It almost ensures that chances of overload are bare minimum as it's checking 24 Hrs a day no matter whether user logs in or initiates a Check Mail Action?

HyTC
Quote Reply
Turn on debugging and take a look at the log while you check to see what it's doing.

Quote:
Could there be a script which functions like incoming.pl and works through cron running in background and acting upon such accounts where Remote Account has been configured for one reason:
You could write your own, but I don't think this is such a great solution as you'll be checking a lot of pop accounts (depending on how many people had it setup) at a time when it ran.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Set Checking interval to 5 minutes.
Logged out.
Enabled Debugging.
Logged in ... remote check ran to completion fine (as per logs but nothing visible to user)... with popup window still open

00:00 login ... auto check ran fine
00:05 ... nothing happened
00:10 ... nothing happened.

Gave up after this presuming that 5 minutes checking rule is not being taken care of.

Quote:
You could write your own, but I don't think this is such a great solution as you'll be checking a lot of pop accounts (depending on how many people had it setup) at a time when it ran.

Hmm some day... yes... who knows? Nothing is impossible. Perhaps with a further filtering to run only for logged in users as per the timing set by user if >0 :-)

HyTC
Quote Reply
Quote:
Turn on debugging and take a look at the log while you check to see what it's doing.

As posted earlier, turning on debugging shows that the first check after login is fine but then the check does not repeat as per the timing interval set by the user, though the POP Up window remains opened all throughout.

HyTC
Quote Reply
The original fixed template should work, but here's a new one that I've rewritten the javascript to make it work better with the continuous checking.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi.

GM Version : 2.2.0.
Tried with this but same status.
Everything works with the First Check.

The Window remains open but seems it doesn't reach this:

<%else%>
stack[stack.length] = ["Waiting " + <%options_mailbox_download_time%> + " minute(s) to check", 0, 0, 0];
setTimeout(function restart() { top.window.location.reload(); }, <%options_mailbox_download_time%> * 60 * 1000);
if (top.window.opener.window.chkwin && insert_count)
top.window.opener.window.location = "<%url_user%>/webmail.cgi?<%url_hidden%>";
<%endif%>

As the Message on Window Which is Open After The First Check Should Have Changed To:

Waiting .... 5 minutes

But it reamins stuck at:

Checking Mail... domain.com
And the repeat check as per timing set (5 minutes) never really happens.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Are you seeing any JavaScript errors in your browser?
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Remote POP Check Mail In reply to
No Not In FireFox.
As for others, I have duumped IE as it reduced to rebooting machine every two hours

Thanks
HyTC

===EDIT===
What is this?

<%url_user%>

===/EDIT===

Last edited by:

HyperTherm: Sep 21, 2004, 9:34 PM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Remote POP Check Mail In reply to
OK as seen in logs, it has started working. Though to the end user nothing is visible to that effect. The screen always stays at

Checking Mail ....

And a Cancel Button is there...
That's it :/

Think that to Make that more meaningful the

• Next Check Time Should be included
  • Status of Previous Check (No New Mail / X New Mails During Last Check)

HyTC.
Quote Reply
It's a modperl/proxy issue. There are a few things that need to be changed so that these things work. I'll make a post tomorrow which outlines these changes.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Hi.

I just reverted back to what it was before the thread started.
And Yes that mod_gzip fix worked ...

That idea of a batch script for checking pop accounts for logged in users keeps haunting all the more.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Hi.

A query before i finally give up.
Alias /perl is used for accesing under mod_perl (backend)

Can it be possible that the POPcheck can be under ScriptAlias (served by front end)?
I tried but it refreshes the page to Expired Session... Cookie based login. Physically everything is under /cgi-bin/

Thanks.
HyTC