Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

SPAM and bounced messages

Quote Reply
SPAM and bounced messages
Hi,

I am receiving many messages that have bounced from GM and then bounced back to me as the return address was invalid. What is the best setup to avoid all these bounced messages? Put an invalid e-mail address in the bounced message template?

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: [Surfer2] SPAM and bounced messages In reply to
the only solution i found was to turn all of the bouncing off, accept for if the message was too big or the users account was full.

r.
Quote Reply
That was a bug in 2.0.6 when used with some mail servers/configurations. The return-path is supposed to be set to <>, so that bounced, bounces don't get replied to. It's been fixed in 2.1.0. Of course even if the Return-Path is set to <>, some mail servers may not be 'nice' and just bounce it to the address set in the From field.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] SPAM and bounced messages In reply to
I have set the address to <>, but I am still recieving many messages.
Isn't there a way to bounce messages like a POP3 server does? When a user doen't exist on my server I never recieve any messages back!

Since there are many users that sign up for free-mail in order to be able to change address when SPAM increases my server will in the future need to have the capacity to reject a large amount of messages...

Thanks
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
I have set the address to <>, but I am still recieving many messages.
But is that what's actually being set in the email itself? Sometimes, the mailserver will change it to the From field if it's not done properly.

In Reply To:
Isn't there a way to bounce messages like a POP3 server does?
You mean a SMTP server right? We would probably have to take a closer look at why it's not bouncing the messages properly.

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] SPAM and bounced messages In reply to
I have reviewed the messages I recieve and they have the <> in both the reply-to and from address.

What I think happens is that GM recieves a mail to a user that doesn't exist. GM sends a bounced message through my SMTP to the sender of the original message. The sender of the original message naturally has an invalid address and then the GM bounced message bounces of their server and sends an undeliverable message back to the "root" user of my SMTP server which I then recieve in my normal POP3 inbox.

My question is, what is the difference between using the GM system and using a real POP3 account? When a message reaches my POP3 to a non existant user the server sends back a bounced message and we start the same loop, but this time I don't recieve any bounced messages, so what is the difference??

Thanks
Quote Reply
After I have used the <> as the reply and from address the amount of bounced messages has decreased, but I am still receiving a large amount of SPAM that is going to the address root@mydomain.com. The SMTP must be somehow adding this address as the sender, or maybe the mail servers add this as a default reply address?

My question is, how can I refuse mail to root@mydomain.com??? Looks like its some kind of default mail address I can't refuse mail from!

Thanks
Quote Reply
Hi guys, what appreciate some help if you have any ideas on what to do??

Is it possible to create the bounced message in an format so that the senders SMTP server will cancel their bounce? Is their some kind of code I should use in the GM bouned message i.e:
>>> RCPT To:<hello@domain.com>
<<< 553 5.3.0 <hello@domain.com>... No such user here
550 5.1.1 <hello@domain.com>... User unknown

Would this stop the looping of bounced messages?

thanks