Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

One Issue Still haunts us

Quote Reply
One Issue Still haunts us
This issue still haunts us. The Message Preview not starting from the begining when the Message Size gets beyond 20K. This has been there from 2.1.0 --> 2.2.0 --> 2.2.4 with different servers and MTA's.

The preview starts off from somwhere but not the begining. Not too sure if this is anything related to the content stored for search 19.5KB ... Just as i said not sure but speculating...

Thanks
HyTC
==================================
Mail Me If Contacting Privately Is That Necessary.
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] One Issue Still haunts us In reply to
Just updating on this issue.
After having made the post above, increased the same from 19.5K to 39K.
Now Messages with upto 39.5 K have started showing fine. Had one ("Text Message") of about 39.5 K which had the preview showing as fine with preview starting from begining. let me see more for consistency and reproducibility

Had another message of 45 K which did not show up fine.

The above messages are the normal automated messages that come in on Brute Force Attacks.... it's all plain text so can really try with different size settings in Gossamer Mail Admin wrt parameter noted in post above ...

Wondering if i have hit the right solution?? But then can't keep increasing that to higher and higher values...

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Just trying to understand the reason of Preview Anomaly/Failure in ture sense for cases where the email gets larger than Admin set limit.

From which position onwards does the data starts getting saved to the msgssearch table? Just had a 350K mail from directnic and found that about 120 k from start is skipped. The message preview also shows exactly what is stored in the table ... ie not from the begining of the body of the mail but from where the data is stored in table. The content stored is around 64KB though in admin it is set to 39K and after a particular stage the data stored makes no sense in relation to the content of the mail.

Hope im getting closer to this years old issue...

Gossamer mail V 2.4.0

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I haven't noticed anything like this before on my installation that I use daily. So you're saying that with any e-mail that's larger than 20K, the message preview will be incorrect?

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] One Issue Still haunts us In reply to
I set that 19.5k to 39k (admin setting in user limits) and then messages upto 40 K started displaying preview fine.
Now i have set it to 50 k and just waiting for a 50k mail to see.
Then i would increase it in 10K jumps to 100 K and see. If the same is reproducible, then i need to conclude somewhere ... just can't keep increasing the same indefinitely.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply

A screenshot for a 37K message when the admin setting was 19.5 K for the msgsearch table. Preview doesn't start from the begining of the mail but somewhere entirely off ... and the msgsearch table has the entry starting from what'sshow in the previw screenshot above.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
Here is the last case with 100K as Admin Setting for msgsearch table where the messages upto ~100k have started previewing fine ... I would conclude with this that there is something which has to do with the data going to the msgsearch table when the msg size exceeds the Admin Setting ... just about border cases could be fine... but when it exceeds that then the data going to the msgsearch table and hence the preview conks off. Not sure how this would affect the search utility in the mail...

I am getting the admin setting back to what came by default ie 19.5K

Screen Shot of preview (msg size 93K) ... host name edited...

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
I have reverted, after a series of tests with higher values, to the original Admin setting of 19.5K and now any message > 20 k starts showing that incorrect Message Preview.

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
~Bump~

Thanks
HyTC
Quote Reply
It's a bug in GMail/Message.pm. Change:
Code:
if ($len > $CFG->{limits}->{search_body}) {
substr($msg_data, 0, $CFG->{limits}->{search_body}) = "";
}
to:
Code:
if ($len > $CFG->{limits}->{search_body}) {
substr($msg_data, $CFG->{limits}->{search_body}) = "";
}

Adrian
Quote Reply
Thanks ... that fixed the issue and almost gets our "To Do List" to empty wrt Gossamer Mail :=)

Though we have not tested wap templates after Glinks3 on actual cell phones, but i am just posing this query that are there any expected failures in wap template sets due to changes in GT::Template?

Thanks
HyTC