Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Password word recovery by resetting password

Quote Reply
Password word recovery by resetting password
Hello all:
Could someone please give some ideas about this; I'm also working at the solution:

If a Gmail user looses his/her password, I would like them RESET their password.
In other words allowing them to type a new password using a form, if the Question/Answer are correct; but NOT mail password.

Thank you, pcurran
Quote Reply
Re: [pyc] Password word recovery by resetting password In reply to
Hi,

If Forget Password recovery is set to Q&A Format, and if the answer to the Question (as supplied during signup) is correct, then the user can login and reset password to a new password.

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Password word recovery by resetting password In reply to
Hello Anup:
I went over it again and would like to be a bit clearer with my question:

My passwords are encrpted. If the Q&A are correct it will be difficult for the user to type in the encrpted password (displayed).
I therefore would not like to display the password but rather allow the user to assign a "new and confirm password" before the "login page" shows up for logging in.

Thank you, pcurran
Quote Reply
Hi,

GMail does not have encryption of passwd. So how is it that the password in encrypted in your case if you are using the GM authentication. It displays clear text passwd in the drop down menu if QA is correct.

Anup
Quote Reply
Hey pcurran,

How are you encrypting the passwords now? GMail doesn't do this by default so I'm just curious as I was going to do this myself at one point. I have since set up GMail to access existing pop3 accounts so that's not an option for me anymore.

Even if the encrypted password was displayed for the user to type in, I doubt it would do much good as it would then be encrypted again when comparing and would not validate. You would definitely need a custom plugin to do what your after.

~Charlie

Last edited by:

Chaz: Oct 8, 2003, 10:45 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Password word recovery by resetting password In reply to
Hello Chaz:

You are right chaz. I will just fellow the implementation on yahoo.com. Encryption through javascript(md5). Before the form leaves the client, the necessary doccument.elements are encryted using javascript(md5). I will be specific went I get back to my workstation.

I'm glad that you just call in. I need some help with "Temp_ID" creation. This will prevent automated scripts from signing up (spam). Examples are on yahoo/hotmail; the associate images with the random numbers.

Thank you, pcurran