Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Mail : Discussion :

Incoming mail = "too big" notification

Quote Reply
Incoming mail = "too big" notification
I am a new user to Gossamer Mail, having inherited it from a company we purchased.

The user mailbox size on both our mailbox server and the Gossamer mailboxes is set to 10MB. The issue I'm having is users trying to download messages that are over 1-2MB. They receive the following message:

1 message was not downloaded.
Reason:
1 message was too big.

I cannot find any settings regarding how large an incoming message can be. I have played with the settings for outgoing message and attachment size however making those changes does not allow me to download the message to the user's mailbox. I also went into the "Manage POP Account" option and tried to manually download the message from there, but without success (or an error).

Where is this setting located? Ideally I'd like to disable it and allow customers to download whatever they want provided it does not place them over their 10MB limit. The user I'm currently working with has only 200kb of their 10MB limit in their Gossamer mailbox.

Thanks in advance.

Joe
Quote Reply
Re: [jgrover] Incoming mail = "too big" notification In reply to
Setup => User Options => User Limits => Max Email Size

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Incoming mail = "too big" notification In reply to
In my 2.2.3 I don't have a value for Max Email Size. I have:

Max Emails per Day
Max Addressees
Max Spam
Max Folders
Max Emails
Upload Total Max Size
Upload Max Size
Uploads Max
Max Signatures
Max Filters
Max Addresses
Max Search
Allow POP No Delete
Quote Reply
Argh, it's a bug in the admin template. Here's a fix to the template that will make the option show up:
Code:
--- gmail/data/admin/templates/setup_user_limits.html 2003/12/12 03:27:18 1.17
+++ gmail/data/admin/templates/setup_user_limits.html 2004/08/18 01:56:48 1.18
@@ -72,7 +72,6 @@
<td width="25%"><font face="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica" size="2"><b>Max Folders</b></font></td>
<td width="75%"><font face="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica" size="2"><input type="text" name="folders_max" value="<%folders_max%>" size="20"></font></td>
</tr>
-<%if account_mode ne 'individual_pop'%>
<tr>
<td width="100%" colspan="2"><font face="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica" size="2">
This is the maximum size an email message can be. If the email is bigger than this it is bounced.</font></td>
@@ -86,7 +85,6 @@

</font></td>
</tr>
-<%endif%>
<tr>
<td width="100%" colspan="2"><font face="Tahoma,Arial,Helvetica" size="2">
This is the maximum number of messages a user can have. Any messages that arrive for a user with this many messages

Adrian
Quote Reply
Re: [brewt] Incoming mail = "too big" notification In reply to
Great. Sorry to be a pain, but I'm not sure where to enter this fix. We just received this server with everything setup by the former mail admin and he isn't reachable.

I see the relevant text in setup_user_limits.html (minus the @@ statements). As a stab I put those statements in but they didn't make a difference. Again I apologize for having no clue as to where to start but this is an entirely different animal that I'm used to dealing with.
Quote Reply
If you are on *Nix system, login to shell and then

man patch

This would give you all the necessary details of how to apply patch to a file.
Create a backup of original file before applying the patch.

Lenghty way around is vi filemane
Then do the necessary changes

-- means that the said line would have to be removed from existing file
++ means that the said line has to be added to existing file.

HyTC
Quote Reply
Re: [HyperTherm] Incoming mail = "too big" notification In reply to
The box we obtained from the company we purchased has this application running on a Windows 2000 box.
Quote Reply
Attached is a copy of the patched template.

~Charlie
Quote Reply
Re: [Chaz] Incoming mail = "too big" notification In reply to
Shows up fine now. Thanks!

Joe
Quote Reply
Quote:
I see the relevant text in setup_user_limits.html (minus the @@ statements). As a stab I put those statements in but they didn't make a difference. Again I apologize for having no clue as to where to start but this is an entirely different animal that I'm used to dealing with.
Just for future reference, the line starting with +++:

+++ gmail/data/admin/templates/setup_user_limits.html

shows you the file to edit. Then you look at:

@@ -72,7 +72,6 @@

which says to look at line 72. Then you remove any line with a leading minus, and add any line with a leading +.

So basically the fix was to remove the two lines with a leading - at around line 72 and 86.

Hope this helps,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.