Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

search and search-ni

Quote Reply
search and search-ni
I am using both these scripts to search my Links SQL- in different settings.

As both scripts seem to require the fields to be index weighted at a minimum of 1 (I thought search-ni didn't work this way) is there any way to ensuring a field is only found by the search-ni script and not the normal search script?

Or am I asking the impossible?

Thanks
Rennie
Quote Reply
Re: search and search-ni In reply to
Okay, here is what I have done.

the log in success page automatically puts the Username into a search query box- then uses search1.cgi (search-ni) to find a list of records belonging to the user.

This gives a result which consists of a series of titles, dates and radio boxes. The user selects the record they wish to modify and this activates search2.cgi (search-ni again) and returns a form where the fields are already filled in. The user makes the changes in this form, presses the modify button and modify.cgi is activated. (search conducted on the ID)

(it may be a long way of doing it but it works!)

Anyhow, I would rather the search.cgi script did not search on the username field- whereas the search-ni script obviously has to in order to find the records belonging to the user. Is there any way of making search-ni find on the username field withou the normal search.cgi script doing so?

Rennie
Quote Reply
Re: search and search-ni In reply to
Both scripts use the index weight, however search-ni.cgi just uses it to determine whether it should search on that field or not, whereas search.cgi actually uses the value to determine best matches.

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do though?

Cheers,

Alex