Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Stats on performance of Link SQL

Quote Reply
Stats on performance of Link SQL
These are loose stats, since I didn't benchmark them, but I also didn't take any of the sites or the machine down to do them.

I imported about 35,000 links from DMOZ into a new database. The links are thus fairly small in and of themselves. There were also about 3500 categories.

An INDEX took just over 2 hours.

A build took over 2 hours the first time to do all the set up and build all the detail pages.

A build without detail pages took about 14 minutes.

For some reason I can't get the verify command to work all of a sudden -- I'm getting something like %VARS not properly defined or something silly like that.

Quote Reply
Re: Stats on performance of Link SQL In reply to

Quote:
For some reason I can't get the verify command to work all of a sudden -- I'm getting something like %VARS not properly defined or something silly like that.

That's a perl 5.6 issue, we had a typo in nph-verify.cgi:

use vars qw/%ok_status %fail_status %all_codes/;

make sure you remove commas between the ok_status, fail_status etc.

As for the stats, might be worth mentioning the hardware used to generate them. I'll look at putting together a benchmark script that will fill up your database with some sample links, and then run the searches to do some tests.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Stats on performance of Link SQL In reply to
Alex,

I thought that might be the problem. I had changed some scripts I wrote, but it was so late at the time I was trying to make this work, I just let it slide. But, without trying it, I'm _sure_ that's the problem, because I've made those changes to other scripts. Smile

As for the benchmarks, I thought everyone was intimately familiar with my Links machine <G>

It's a Sun Sparc 10s with 128 meg of ram (yep, a bit low) and 2 9.1 harddrives (the system and /usr files on one, the www files and database are on the other). It's running 129 domains off of 16 IP's (yeah, that's low too, but 9 out of 10 of the domains are just parked).

It's taking about 600,000 page/cgi hits a month now, plus all the image serving and graphics.

It's running 6 functioning Links SQL sites, 4 are very active, 1 is sort of "alive" and one just opened. The new one I expect to add at least 250,000 hits a month to the server.

Oh... I'm also running MySQL and HamWeather on the same machine Smile Loads have _never_ gone over 11%, and the only crash I had was with the keywords log routine in links 2.0 because of a lock-file problem.

I reboot the machine every few months for the heck of it <G> Just to make sure I _can_ in the best of times.

I want to add 2 more machines to this, a database server, and another front-end webserve. I've had 3 serious inquiries about LinkSQL hosting and support the past 2 weeks, which is suprising (given the $450 minimum per month), but as I've posted before, I'm seriously considering it, since my ISP has the resources, and I like supporting this program Smile