Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Search Log changes

Quote Reply
Search Log changes
Alex,

It would be a good idea to add the IP routines to the search_log entries. That way, the same IP searching 10x for flowers in say 60 minutes, wouldn't be counted more than once.

This would prevent some people who can enter the same term 20 times in 5 minutes hoping a different answer will come out from skewing the results... since it's not the number of searches per se, but the number of 'visitors' looking for a thing that's important.

Quote Reply
Re: Search Log changes In reply to
Hi pugdog,

I'm not sure I follow. Why would someone want so earch form the same term 20 times? The search log doesn't (normally) have any influence on how the searches are returned.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
Re: Search Log changes In reply to
If we are logging searches, to find out what is the most popular area of our site, we'd like the data as accurate as possible.

I'm logging IP address and search term, just to see if people search for more than one term, or just one. What I've found, is the same IP can enter the same word 5 or 10 or even more times. Each of those gets counted as a 'hit'. In reality, like a vote or a rating, it's still really only 'one'.

Especially if a person searches for "lovers" "love" and then "Love" --

I had one person enter 'love' 13 times in about 2 minutes.

So, if you used the same routines of IP checking to prevent the same IP from entering the same LC(query) more than once in say, 30 or 60 minutes, the validity of the search_log is improved.