Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

When to use re-index ?

Quote Reply
When to use re-index ?
Hello all,

When do you have to use re-index ? Allways after you input new links before the search funtion ?
If so why not combine re-index and build or is it build then re-index ?

I wanna keep it simple for my client :)..

Allready thanks.

Regards Startpoint.

Quote Reply
Re: When to use re-index ? In reply to
Build...then re-index.

Regards.

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks for the reply Eliot.

So you allways have to (re-)index after a build.

How (best way) to start nph-index.cgi automatic after a call to nph-build.cgi ?

Allready thanks.

Regards startpoint.

Quote Reply
Uh...same thing as setting up a Crontab for the nph-build.cgi although set the Crontab for nph-index.cgi to execute a few minutes or hours after you execute the nph-build.cgi script.

Regards,

Eliot Lee

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot.

In Reply To:
Uh...same thing as setting up a Crontab for the nph-build.cgi although set the Crontab for nph-index.cgi to execute a few minutes or
hours after you execute the nph-build.cgi script.
I mean how to start it webbased so you can select 1 button with start both programs. So instead of pressing 2 'buttons' (links) press only 1 button ?

Alllready thanks.

Regards startpoint.

Quote Reply
Uh...one suggestion is to copy the codes in nph-index.cgi and put them at the bottom of nph-build.cgi. These codes should be placed in a new subroutine called sub build_reindex (not to be confused with the $LINKS{build_index} variable.

Then add the following codes in the sub build_all routine:

Code:

sub build_reindex();

Hope this makes sense.

BTW: Why aren't you going to be creating crontabs for your client? This would be a lot easier than having to manually re-build and re-index the database, don't ya think?

Regards,

Quote Reply
Thanks Eliot i get what you mean.

In Reply To:
BTW: Why aren't you going to be creating crontabs for your client? This would be a lot easier than having to manually re-build and re-index
the database, don't ya think?
Well they are going to input there own articles that have to be public within a few 'seconds' and they can't wait till crontab start it up.

BTW: i will develope also our own site (after i finished my own) so sometimes i have to know it from 2 points of views Smile.