Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Upgrade from Links2 to Links SQL

Quote Reply
Upgrade from Links2 to Links SQL
hello to all,

is it possible to try Links SQL on my own server,
before i buy it ?

if yes please send me a email at nicky@nicky.net .

or must i buy it to try ?

thx

------------------
ciao
Nicky
mse.nicky.net

[This message has been edited by Nicky (edited November 17, 1999).]
Quote Reply
Re: Upgrade from Links2 to Links SQL In reply to
Hi Nicky!

Quote:
or must i buy it to try ?

There is a demo running on gossamer-threads, other than that my understanding is you have to buy it Frown

------------------
http://www.nzcid.godzone.net.nz
New Zealand Christian Internet Directory

Quote Reply
umm... i don't think so..

if the problem is that you don't know if it will work on your server.. than you should just simply check to see if your server meets all those requirements in the links sql page..

if your server meets the standards then it will run as well as the demo on the links sql page.

jerry
Quote Reply
hi jerry,

i know that the server has the requirements to run Links SQL, but i will to test it on my own before i buy it, like the SHAREWARE on your PC Wink.

Alex,

what did you think about this ?

------------------
ciao
Nicky
mse.nicky.net

[This message has been edited by Nicky (edited November 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I Hate to tell you this but there is no real shareware for perl. Sure, Alex could make a way under featured version but there woud be nothing making you ever delete the software. Time locks don't exist in perl which makes the whole point of shareware useless for perl.

If your server meets the requirements of Links SQL then your good to go there. If you want to play, try links 2.0 normal which very kindly is out for download to everyone. And if you really just have to play with Links SQL, try the demo. Have fun!

------------------
Ted Sindzinski
www.infinityinternet.com

[This message has been edited by infinity (edited November 18, 1999).]
Quote Reply
hi ted,

i have already links 2.0 on my server mse.nicky.net that working fine.

------------------
ciao
Nicky
mse.nicky.net

Quote Reply
There may be no time locks, but the web is an open place, and running/using software without a license can 'net' you big trouble.

Quote Reply
alex could use Filter: ecrypt and encrypt the cgi script so it's all binary.. but then it'd just be a waste of time.. nicky.. although it's not exactly the same.. it will run fine if your server has the resources..

jerry
Quote Reply
No, fraid there isn't any sort of evaluation for Links SQL besides the online demo and trying out Links 2.0. What sort of questions do you still need answered?

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
michael.. the best way to timelock a script is by using Filter::Decrypt..

you can easily put something like:

Code:
die "Expired!" if (time() > blahblah);

as one of the first few lines and then it will no longer work.. they can not decrypt and print out the perl script..

it is more secure than cookies.. but timelocking still sucks.. for this it would only work great on something that is released once.. if you use cookies.. they have so many servers they can use your script on and they can take out the code or they can manually delete the cookie..

i can think of many ways to use Filter::Decrypt to timelock.. but I don't see why any one would need to.. people are going to take advantage of it and get the script for free

jerry

[This message has been edited by widgetz (edited November 20, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I am trying to work on a time-lock for a script I am running using cookies some how, I am sure it is possible.

------------------
Michael Bray
Review your webhost, or find a new one at http://www.webhostarea.com

Quote Reply
Michael:

The problem is that since Perl code is uncompiled, even a novice could search through the script and delete or comment out the "time-lock" code. However, I would be interested in what you come up with.

Dan Smile
Quote Reply
However be aware that Filter:: modules will only stop the casual person. Someone familiar with perl can get around these measures quite easily.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
 Frown,

I wanted to give it to me for the birthday.

http://22-11.com

------------------
ciao
Nicky
mse.nicky.net

[This message has been edited by Nicky (edited November 20, 1999).]
Quote Reply
I am not familiar Filter: Smile I just don't want a feature limited edition, I hate them.

------------------
Michael Bray

Quote Reply
michael.. cookies won't do you any good.. SERIOUSLY.. i'm not sure if you know what cookies do.. but they don't do what you think they do.. (i can tell).. first of all.. it's for every user.. so if you blocked someone from 50 uses.. then it will just block a user from 50 uses.. also.. they can delete cookies.. and then of course they expire..

jerry
Quote Reply
Jerry... I am trying to work on some sort of system so that the first time you log into the admin area you are given a cookie on a demo version, and when the cookie expires you cannot login, or something to that effect.

Its not a perfect plan, I realise that it would be tampered with all the time, and most people could get around it, but just something to stop those 12 year old warez guys copying it.

I am sure that there are much better solutions... I am not aware of them though Wink

------------------
Michael Bray