Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Telnet loosing ground

Quote Reply
Telnet loosing ground
As I check better hosts I find they're more and more getting away from telnet. When I play with links-sql, it states for very large directories to use Telnet when building and not from the Internet/Browser.

Because of security reasons is why alot of companies are dumping telnet.

What if they all do? Where are u then with a very large directory?

Alot of them are offering now web control panels, is this equivalennt to Telnet - SSH...etc?

Thanks

[This message has been edited by gerardo (edited January 30, 2000).]
Quote Reply
Re: Telnet loosing ground In reply to
No, because the web control panel will still time out a session based on the HTTP settings, where as telnet will time out a session based on the running-processes settings.

You need to discuss this with any new ISP, and they may be able to provide a solution in the form of a specific permission to run certain scripts.

Unfortunately, because of the wide spread abuses, and reality issues on performance and cpu, to run an active links site you really need a committment from your ISP, or you need to have a dedicated server.

Some companies are offering the small dedicated servers at reasonable rates. They are rack-mount type all-in-one units, that offer reasonable small to mid-sized site performance.

By definition, a 30,000 links database with 15,000 vists x 5 hits a day is a "large" site. The cgi processes can raise that as well.

There are costs in setting up any project, and many people feel that money is "free". They can set up monster, resource intenisve sites, and pocket all the money at the ISP's expense... well the ISP's have gotten smarter, and have started limiting the sites, which works for probably 90-95% of the users out there. Serious users are getting caught because they are being charged -- often times -- more than the costs of the resources because the ISP's don't know how to allocate and charge for the big sites, they are afraid of getting burned by the guys who are out to consume resources, and they want to protect their cash cows -- which are the guys who get a 50 meg website and 5 email addresses and put up 2 pages with 20 hits a month (all by the owner) and usage of 1 email address for 10 junkmails a day.

Sad but true.

If you want to find an ISP, you can't go discount, you need to decide how big your database will be, how active it will be, what sort of performance you want, and then shop for an ISP that offers it.

You will need an ISP that offers a MySQL solution package (like the links hosting offered here) or you'll need a dedicated machine.

Look for a hosting company that only offers hosting, and which caters to businesses. Look in the mid-priced or custom pricing sections.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
Re: Telnet loosing ground In reply to
Curently my site gets

1200 unique visitors per month and I don't know how many visits those unique visitors make per month as I have lousy stats.

I do know the main page gets around 700 - 800 hits a week via graphic counter(nothing, I know), the data base is over 1000 links and I don't forsee it getting over 5,000 by next year as I don't import links and I don't browse the web for them.

If my links go up to a 5000 database then I would or should expect 5 times the trafffic, especially when it's an index that caters specifically to a certain interest.

Machines are getting bigger, no? More and More are poping up with mysql but what is that really? Do they invision links-sql?

The below plan I was looking at offers 5 mysql plans but has a 100 users or less per maching max.

http://cqhost.com/

http://www.cqhost.com/ultra.html

located in paris :-(

No telnet

Would time out regardless

But they have a data-center, not something that sits on the floor and we call it a 500mhz processor. So I don't know if 100 users per machine is alot for the power they have, must admit my obvious ignorance ignorance.

I do want a dedicated server but where I am not importing links, surfing the net to include links, I am wondering if I really need that yet?

The above plan is 40.00 per month, the current plan I am on is 19.00 per month.

You have certainly helped me with this and I thank you.