Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Links SQL with Spider Pro

Quote Reply
Links SQL with Spider Pro
I have been using Spider Pro with Links 2.0 without a problem. However, I have just upgraded to Links SQL and now I don't have a clue how to import the data. Can someone please set me on the right track. I have tried Import.pl - but I get an error message. It seems to require that I also have categories.db and category.def while the Spider Pro provides links.db only. Sincere Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Links SQL with Spider Pro In reply to
Try using the SQL Monitor and the import feaure there.

Otherwise, check the FAQ for some hints on how to import files.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply
I still have no idea how to make the SQL Monitor work to import the links.db files created with Spider Pro. Further, a comment by Alex here in the forum seems to indicate that Import.pl is the way to go. And I have made it work, but it sure seems like I'm jumping thru hoops!

The first problem is that Import.pl requires the categories.db file, which it uses to append and create duplicate categories.

I tried leaving this file empty, but receive the error message <ul><li>CategoryID (Can not be left blank) </ul>

I tried listing the target category, however Import.pl again appends the category ceating a duplicate AND gives the same error message.

To make it work, I created a categories.db with one line creating a "Spider/Import" ...
.....and it works. That links.db is imported, but it ends up in "Spider/Import".

So I delete the category "Spider/Import" from Admin, run Category Breaks, and move the data to the category that I was trying to get to in the first place.

What I want to do is to import a links.db file created with Spider Pro, and dump the data into a target category. However Import.pl insists on creating a new category and dumping the links there.

Can the Import.pl be reworked to get this job done a little easier? Am I on the right track now? Should I go back to trying to figure out how to do this through the SQL Monitor? Or should I try to modify the Import.pl to do what I want?

All comments will certainly be appreciated.
Quote Reply
I am currently using Links 2.0 for a directory, but I am seriously considering buying Links SQL and using spider pro as well.

grifleman, have you found an easier way to import the files to SQL yet? I am planning to do the same thing you are doing, for a vertical search. I'd love to hear an update on how you are coming along before I take the plunge :-)

Quote Reply
Check the FAQ for some help on the LOAD and INSERT commands. You need to adapt the parameters to your import and target database.

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/