Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Version 1.x :

Increasing URL length + others

Quote Reply
Increasing URL length + others
Hi Alex,
How is it possible to allow longer URLs to be submitted (e.g. linkshare referral URL). The proble is that I've been unable to use the full URL for the referal programs because the add link URL field is minimized to a certain length.

ONE MORE IMPORTANT QUESTION:
for Links SQL newbies is there any particular literature that you advise us to read and that could help us with how to run the script. I'm used to CGI scripts but Links SQL is a huge challenge, not because you don't have the resources but because step by step explanations are not around in the message boards...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Quote Reply
Re: Increasing URL length + others In reply to
The only documentation is what we have here in the forum.

There are several books that help learn SQL and other things that you need to know. Beyond that it's a learning curve. Nothing can really take the place of that.

I've been thinking of starting a documentation project, but that will take awhile to get on-line, and then will only be as good as those who contribute to it.

Quote Reply
sorry... I'm still new... solved that one. Would nevertheless be curious about the literature you think is good to read...
Marco
Quote Reply
Template design is best left to a graphic designer, if you want a unique look.

Developing a site, adding functionality, and adding features is best left to a programmer.
Quote Reply
So which online service do you advise me to use for the programming and design?

Again, thanks for the assistance...
Marco
Quote Reply
I have no suggestions.

Graphic design is a personal thing, and you need to figure out what you want your site to look like.

Links is built with templates, so once the templates are built, you can even change them based on seasons, holidays, etc. How much you want to invest in the template design is up to you.

As for programming, there aren't many people very familiar with this program. Most have learned the program from using it for their own sites.

Alex will install the program the first time, but most of the mods and changes are done by the site owners who see a need and adapt to it.

Quote Reply
OK about the design... good designer can be found but I (agree)think to find a designer who also, as you said, knows how to work with Links SQL is hard.

How about you? What are your activities? Do you run a site? would you maybe be interested to do the job for me? Ofcourse you'll get paid for the task.
...On my last note - a message to ALex...
Alex: when you first installed Links SQL I quickly replied to you commenting how you've made a great, fast & efficient installation service.

I would nevertheless like to mention something that has been bothering me a lot in the past days since I purchased the script. First of all - I find it somewhat frustrating, and I'm sure many will agree, that a script which costs so much does not have a manual. Even smaller scripts that I've purchased in the past have had readme files guiding webmasters to what the permission settings (CHMODs) should be for files, if they should be up-loaded in binary or ASCII mode, and various other things.

Simple tasks with Links SQL are hard to grasp, but even harder to do when there is no real help manual.

Now... I've been studying Information Analysis and Systems Design at college, one of the steps when creating a database is to produce a USER manual - something that Links SQL lacks.

I would even pay for a LINKS SQL manual if it were available.

Regardless of all this I enjoy your script. It's just feedback which I think can be of benefit for you in the future, so make good use of it Smile)
Quote Reply
Still... when it comes to the point when I've created my links database I'm going to be looking for someone who can do the job for me ($$) of fixing templates and all the other little things. It's not that I'm lazy to learn, I speak 4 languages amongst others things, but I know that it will take me too long and I fear running script errors.
Cheers,
Marco
Quote Reply
The installation file along with the installation scripts can get the program installed.

What you are asking for is more of a design manual. Links SQL is a complicated program, and I was able to get the version 1.0 up and running (knowing nothing about MySQL and SQL) in a few hours. Of course I learned more along the way. Now, I can clone an installation on my server in about 20 minutes, including editing the various defaults files for my templates.

A well written program doesn't need a manual, it is self documenting. Links is not quite self documenting, but there are clues that that will change in the next release as well.

Because Links is a commercial script, that comes with installation as part of the package, there is no need for complicated -- and potentially erroneous -- installation manuals. Alex is the manual, and installs it, and makes sure all the things that can go wrong are taken care of. Once that's done, the necessary information is in the scripts and in MySQL's 'mysql' table. The basics are provided, and if you need to make changes, you need to either look at the code or use the forum.

I'm not saying a manual wouldn't help in some cases, that's why I tried to start the FAQ to index the questions. I'm 2 months behind, but it will catch up one day.

The thing is that Links SQL is a simple program. Once it's installed, it runs with a few mouse clicks.

The "problems" occur only when you try to make changes to it -- and Alex can't really be expected to deal with all of the potential problems and pitfalls of that. That's why there's this forum, and a core of people who can answer questions and who keep hacking away at it -- documenting their steps so others have some tracks to follow if you want to do the same thing.

In that way, a Links Manual would be very small. Granted, a "Developers Guide" would be much more helpful... and that is in the works, sort of. The first step is catching up with the FAQ and threads.

To answer your other question if I'm available -- I have very limited time, and I have to charge for that. I'm not cheap. And I do mean that. I value my time, and that's what I have to sell. (Also, my partners have a value on it I can't undercut.) As you've noticed, I don't charge for code or software changes. It's just the way I look at it. I buy commercial software when I see that it will save me "time" over doing it myself -- and the core Links engines do that. I've rewritten much of the .cgi stuff over the past few months to do what I need and want.

I read the forum here often multiple times a day, though, sometimes I'll miss a day or two before catching up, but I don't have much time to take on outside projects. I do this in the little free time I have, and because sometimes I get an idea that makes sense for what I'm trying to do.

Maybe once school is out Jerry will be back, and as a teenager, he has more "free" time. He might be able to take on projects. The obvious point here is that there is a big opening for Links SQL programmers, but anyone willing to invest time into that will find bluer horizons in the general workplace with SQL and CGI and PERL.

I'm here because I'm developing my site/business in Links SQL, and I don't feel it's the software that makes us special. It's our content, so I don't have to jealously guard any "trade secrets", and the more I think through other people's problems, the better solutions I come up with for my own. I firmly believe in the Open Source movement, since that's how I see the future (and I'm an old-time hacker/programmer from the pre-Windows/M$ days).

------------------
POSTCARDS.COM -- Everything Postcards on the Internet www.postcards.com
LinkSQL FAQ: www.postcards.com/FAQ/LinkSQL/

Quote Reply

Quote:
I would nevertheless like to mention something that has been bothering me a lot in the past days since I purchased the script. First of all - I find it somewhat frustrating, and I'm sure many will agree, that a script which costs so much does not have a manual.

This is a recognized short coming and is something we are addressing. If anyone has suggestions on what sort of material you would like to see, please drop me an email with a table of contents type listing and we'll work on filling that out.

As for installation, you should have a Readme which outlines how to install the product if you ever need to.

Cheers,

Alex
Quote Reply
I just think it would be cool to have a step by step guide... as mentioned b4 - I'd even pay for it!

Cheers,
Marco