Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

How Many Tables?

Quote Reply
How Many Tables?
We are considering the purhcase of Links SQL. Our requirement would be to run more than one table from the Database. Is this possible?

Each table would have unique values as well as a unique display.

Quote Reply
Re: How Many Tables? In reply to
I don't know what you are asking.

But, if you are asking about multiple installations from the same database, the new version of links can do that, but each installation requires a separate license.

PUGDOGŪ
PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ: http://pugdog.com/FAQ

Quote Reply
No, we would want say an employment table, resume table and a links table. All run by the same user table. Each of the seperate areas would have their own distinct display. Unless it is possible to have different fields display dependant upon the category - which would not be the best solution I would think.

Quote Reply
You can have as many tables as you like. It all depends on your hosting company's service agreement. They may have restrictions on the number of databases and tables you can use in their MySQL server.

You can easily use core LINKS SQL modules to power additional scripts (resumes, jobs, etc.) for your site.

For example, in my site...I have one USER table, yet I have different table connections set-up...like for RESUMES, I have a 1->1 connection meaning that users can only post one resume. I have 1->M connections for jobs where users can add as many jobs as they like.

I use the UserID as the foreign key in the Resume and Jobs tables to make them "owned" by specific users. In the Resume table, I use UserID as the PRIMARY key to make it so that each user has only one resume.

These are pretty basic Database design questions you are asking, I would recommend doing some research on databases and then read about MySQL, then look at different applications that can parse the data (like Links SQL)...looking at applications first without having good fundamental knowledge of database design is a bit backwards and may lead to more confusion.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you for your information. I do have some knowledge about Database structure, however, the Links SQL program comes with pre-defined tables and I was wondering how easy it was to add more tables with templates to the system - since it is not listed anywhere in the FAQ, Resource section or Manual for Links.

Thank you.

Quote Reply
In Reply To:
the Links SQL program comes with pre-defined tables and I was wondering how easy it was to add more tables with templates to the system
Yet...with the many Threads that discuss the plug-in system of the NG version and also the code hacks that have been applied in earlier versions, one can summize that it is relatively easy to do this...and it is.

Think of LINKS SQL as the "back-bone" of whatever application you want to create and that MySQL is the "nervous system" that connects the "brain" (data) and "body" (web pages). Not the best analogy, but I think you get my point.

Again, the CORE modules of LINKS SQL are quite flexible and provide most of the tools you need to create almost any type of interactive web application.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Thank you.