Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Editor Functions?

Quote Reply
Editor Functions?
I think I'm missing something with the editor functions... In the demo, I logged in (as the test editor), went to the category that editor is authorized to edit... and clicked "editors".

The admin browser loaded, and I could modify/delete/add categories and sites.. but where would the editor do things like Validate sites, etc? Is there a central "editor" page, like there is with the admin funtions?

Quote Reply
Re: Editor Functions? In reply to
Validation is not an editor function at this time. This is handled by the Admin....

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Hmmm.. that seems really silly to me, I guess. Editors are "good enough" to go find sites, and add them, but not to validate sites submitted by other users?

That was an essential function for me.. so I guess i'm out of presales questions.

Thank you for your reply! :)

Quote Reply
It's not really silly if you look at the problem...I personally would not trust "editors" to validate links. If they add in a bunch of bad links than that means more work for the administrator to clean out the database...in terms of time management and quality assurance, better have to have few hands in the pot than tons of editors validating links as they see fit...

Anyway...I think that this has been discussed in the Links SQL Discussion Forum and some users are working on plug-ins to allow editors to validate links in their categories...for more info, search the Links SQL Discussion Forum for Editors and you should find tons of relevant Threads.

Regards,

Eliot Lee
Quote Reply
Actually, Editors can Validate links. =) If a link is waiting to be validated, you will see a little Validate link beside it where an editor can approve it.

We are looking at making a link at the top that will pull all links waiting to be validated into one list.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Some sort of central interface for the editors that let them see all the sites ready to be validated (if they are allowed to do so) would be a big influence on my purchasing ;) It's just not feasable for my editors to go looking through every category they might moderate/edit.

I'm looking to make my purchasing decision in the next 30 days.

I guess the main reason I thought it was "silly" was that you could authorize an editor to be able to validate, but i couldn't find a location in which they could do so.

Thanks!

Quote Reply
This will be in the next maintenance release due out this week..

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
This will be in the next maintenance release due out this week..
Not mean to push, will this come along with the Mail and Plug-in?

Quote Reply
Just an FWIW --

If you have been using an "older" template set, you might want to update all the "browser" templates in the "default" directory. There have been template changes that enable a lot of editor functions, and if you don't have the most current set in your directory, you might be missing out on some.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
pugdog, how do you update the templates with the new ones? in fact, where can we get the new templates from? (i think i said NO to changing templates but not sure).

Also, what has been added in regards editor functions?

cheers.

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
For most people that may be a hard thing to do... I'll put a zip on the FAQ site with the "Default" template set in a few minutes. I have to do some house keeping there anyway.

I have a suggestion for alex --

Have a _default template directory, that is updated _regardless_ of what the user picks. In that directory, is always the current "default" version of the templates, so that people can check them out. Maybe, have that the default "option" if the users pick "no" to update html,cfg and cgi, all that happens is the default template set is extracted again into the _default directory.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Forum:http://LinkSQL.com/forum
Quote Reply
a brilliant idea pugdog! (this is exactly the sort of thing vbulletin does although templates are in the database).

http://www.ASciFi.com/ - The Science Fiction Portal
Quote Reply
On the subject of editors, is it possible to have several people logged-in as 'Admin' or have several editors logged-in whilst I'm using 'Admin'?

The reason I ask is that in the near future I may wish to employ some staff part-time to help with validating links and wondered about file/record locking, etc. - obviously they would be 'trusted' to validate links and as a group we'd be able to add more links, but would this cause any problems, i.e.; working on the same link/category at the same time?

All the best
Shaun

Quote Reply
Sorry pugdog,

But when I check your site and click on "Default set of templates -- 2.0.3". Only get a "LINKS SQL SERVER" displayed.

Quote Reply
Alex,

Just wanted to thank you for your replies, and the decision to add this to the maintenence release. As you may (or may not) have noticed, I purchased shortly after this. ;) I look forward to the release which will include this feature.

My editors thank you ;p

Eliot -- thank you too for your replies! :)

Quote Reply
Yup, any news on this maintenence release after Gmail and 2 Plug-Ins out?

Quote Reply
Any schedule?

Quote Reply
Alex...

Was this ever released? I didn't see an announcement..

I'm currently using 2.0.3, which seems to be the most current..

My Editors are getting a bit restless, I had promised them this functionality, shortly after your post...

Quote Reply
Hi,

Sorry, no it still hasn't been released. It's implemented in my dev copy, but there are other changes I need to make before I release it.

Sorry about the waits..

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.