Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Using Links for a quoting service

Quote Reply
Using Links for a quoting service
I'd like to purchase Links and use it to allow manufacturers to sign up and have their site listed with it. What I'm going to do is set up my own script to allow users to request quotes from the manufacturers in our database - so in addition to listing each manufacturer who'se signed up with us, I'd also like to put in a link "request a quote from this manufacturer" for each one listed.

I'm just wondering if this would be permitted, and how easy that would be to put in. I'm planning to create my quoting script to access the Links database, I don't imagine that should be a problem either but let me know if you foresee any difficulties.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gurm] Using Links for a quoting service In reply to
Hi,

It's definately permitted, and would probably be pretty easy to do (basically just sends a "quote request" to the email address listed on the link?). If so, it could be done as a template global pretty easily.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gurm] Using Links for a quoting service In reply to
To expand on what Alex said,

The form itself could be easily displayed with page.cgi, and the "submit" button would just trigger the back-end processing using a simple program that checked the submitted data, and sent it out through GT::Mail using whatever formatting you wanted.

All the information needed is already in the link record (Contact_Info), so it would be fairly trivial to hack one of the existing scripts to do the "send" portion.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.
Quote Reply
Re: [pugdog] Using Links for a quoting service In reply to
I was just thinking, isn't this something more suitable for DBman SQL rather then Links SQL? I've never used DBman but I always thought this was the sort of thing it was designed for.
Cheers,
Michael Bray
Quote Reply
Re: [Michael_Bray] Using Links for a quoting service In reply to
Links SQL does everything DBMan SQl does, and more. I did look at DBMan, and found it more "itimidating" than LinksSQL, since you had to set it up, rather than have a ready-to-go package frame work to work from.

PUGDOG� Enterprises, Inc.

The best way to contact me is to NOT use Email.
Please leave a PM here.