Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Different category template for different category

(Page 2 of 2)
> >
Quote Reply
Re: Different category template for different category In reply to
Evoir,

When I first started with Links SQL, I was overwhelmed. Links SQL is a very powerful and versatile program. Both these aspects of Link SQL mean learning something new.

I agree with Pugdog that comparing Links SQL with a BB program is like comparing apples & oranges. I also think that an SQL based link script should be though of more like a CAD/CAM program. They are both very powerful, will take some time to learn and will reward you in production later.

In customizing the look and feel of the program, I started by choosing the template set that I liked best. Then I went in and customized the text messages, colors, graphics and so on.

Then I hit a point where I needed to start using the tags and if/then/end (loops?) statements in the html files. Once I saw a couple of examples, some of the earlier messages I saw made a more sense and I realize this is not impossibly hard or lengthy learning curve as I originally thought.

One other thing, you mention purchasing Links SQL for a client. So for whatever reason asp or hand coded pages where not thought to be the solution. Evidently, you examined and discarded bulletin boards, image galleries, content & news management systems and focus on links programs, specifically Links SQL. I would guess Links SQL is still your best solution.

My suggestion would be to explain fully what you are trying to accomplish with Links SQL and how you were thinking about doing it. Once people understand your purpose, the explanations might better fit your needs.
--
Rob Van Deren

Quote Reply
Rob,

Thanks for your thoughtful reply as well!

Yes, we chose LinksSQL to run our content on our site becasue it came so highly recommended. We will be using it as a content management system. I spoke to Alex a few times on the phone (heck, it was impressive to actually speak with the programmer) and after many questions on the board, shelled out the $450 bucks. It has now been like 5 weeks and I am a bit closer to what I want, but I lack the knowlege of cgi and stuff to do what I want.

I just feel stuck behind this tech stuff that I don't understand.

I built my clients site completely by myself. We have a bulletin board (UBB swicthing to VB as we speak) and polls and newsletters and static html. It has grown beyond my desire to keep building static html pages. I want the editors of the magazine to be able to update content and images on their own. I am tired of having to copy edit while building pages. I'd liek to put it in their laps.

I am close to making this happen. I have installed Detailed Pages (thanks pugdog) and need to purchase and install image upload. But, I can't figure out how to have different category styles for different categories. this seems really important and basic to even a links program.

anyway. I'll be working on the site again and will spend yet another day trying to figure this all out.

I really do appreciate the encouraging words.

Quote Reply
For me, one of the more confusing things about Links SQL is reading posts with bits of code like:

<%if URL eq 'http://'%>
link to detail.html
<%else%>
use link to website
<%endif%>

First, I had no idea where this was inserted. With the <%something%> tags means they are Links SQL tags that are inserted in html or txt files included in html files. They can be inserted almost anywhere, with the constraint the particular tag has to be available in that module.

Usually these code fragments are seen without a lot of explanation to the logic, so they are hard to understand and learn.

Pugdog's post was particularly helpful:

http://gossamer-threads.com/p/142429

It goes through several simple examples with enough explanation that a person can understand the logic of what is happening and see how it could be applied to different things. It also gives a person an understanding of how powerful and customizable Links SQL is. The ability to customize Links SQL goes way beyond most programs ability to select colors, determine placement and turn on/off features.

Anyway, as a novice, I too struggle with the complexities of Links SQL. What Links SQL will/can do far exceeds my abilities, and that is good. It is no fun to try and force a program to do something it really isn't capable of doing.

Hang in there!
--Rob Van Deren
BeaverheadRiver.com

Quote Reply
Hi Evoir,

Thanks for the comments! One of the things I like best about Links SQL is the ability to customize it. It has been designed from the ground up to be easily alterted to suit any task. Now when I say easily, I do mean easily to someone familiar with the program. ;) I am well aware that to a novice, the customizations can seem a bit daunting. However, with the plugin system and the templates, there is really very little reason to go into the code. Almost any changes can be made without altering the core code.

We are working hard on improving this. Our expanded user manual is coming along nicely (two chapters done).

I will be releasing an update tommorrow that will have the feature you are mentioning built in. It will let you pick either a template set, or a specific template per category. We are just doing some final testing on it now.

As for image uploads, we are also working on this. We plan to add simple uploads as a form type shortly (not for next release). This means you can go to the Database->Links->Properties, select Add Column, and then select form type => FILE, and now you can upload files for that column.

This will be available within 2 to 3 weeks.

Cheers,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Thank you Alex and everyone. Feeling a little better now. Happy that these changes are happening.

Thanks to everyone for explaining things a little more.

Quote Reply
How do you do this?

Quote Reply
Alex,

it has been a bit more than 2 to 3 weeks. Is that image upload feature happening soon?

Thanks for your time,
-Evoir
Quote Reply
In Reply To:
As for image uploads, we are also working on this. We plan to add simple uploads as a form type shortly (not for next release). This means you can go to the Database->Links->Properties, select Add Column, and then select form type => FILE, and now you can upload files for that column.
This is a general file upload field, from what I understand of how it's implemented.

You can flag a field as a "file" type, and that will point to a record in the "attachments" table, or whatever. It can be any sort of file, not just an image file, and each attachment you add to a link, must have it's own field in the link record -- so if you want two attachments per link, you need to add two "File" fields to that link.

If you need just an image attachment, either in the logo or the body of the link, my attachment mod is more complete in this respect. I have it working on several sites, have sold quite a few copies, but never get any feedback on it. Any changes/updates are non-user driven, without the feedback, but the module can be modified for specific uses. I'm thinking of adding in the "make thumbnail" feature, so that when someone uploads a logo that is too big, rather than generating an error, it makes the logo the right size.

The break up of the Image Gallery mod went well, and with about 10 minutes of debugging, it ran just like the pre-break up version, but now that it's in modules, adding/changing the logic will be easier -- adding "type checking" for other types, and such will be much easier. I may finally have a demo out to show what it can do.

PUGDOGŪ Enterprises, Inc.
FAQ:http://LinkSQL.com/FAQ
Plugins:http://LinkSQL.com/plugin
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Different category template for different category In reply to
Trying to follow all the threads about Multiple Category Templates.

Has the 2.1.0 script been updated to reflect code changes above?

Thanks, April

P.S. Here is some more information on the problem from an e-mail to support. I'm unable to make the script recognize the use of specific category templates for some categories. I'll try to be as concise as possible. Things I've tried: -----I've put "category-Indianapolis-Visit.html" template using "trail&error' in: av (the template I'm using a default) default directories (both under the main directory and under "local") -----I've indicated at the bottom of the "Database" page for the category . . . Category Template - I've done "trial&error" on av, default and blank HTML Template - category-Indianapolis-Visit.html -----If I replace the "category.html" file with "category-Indianapolis-Visit.html" in the default template directory . . . it does use "category-Indianapolis-Visit.html ... but I have more than one category template I'd like to use. For example, category-Indianapolis-singles.html, etc., etc.
A. Lougheed
IndyLinks.com
webmaster@indylinks.com
> >