Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Pre Sales :

Email Address Restriction In Registration

Quote Reply
Email Address Restriction In Registration
The email address in resgistration form: Can it be restricted to the addresses from GM (basically checked against Validated Accounts In GM) only as valid addresses for signup. In case invalid email, then a custom error message?

Another question is:

In how many instances (a rough estimate as a percetage), has LSQL required server access by GT for completing the installation and bringing it up to the stage where the same can be opened for public domain (the service powered by LSQL). I ask this because access to server in my case would be impossible even in near future, and all the installation will have to be done by us only.

Anup
Quote Reply
Re: [anup123] Email Address Restriction In Registration In reply to
Quote:
Can it be restricted to the addresses from GM (basically checked against Validated Accounts In GM) only as valid addresses for signup. In case invalid email, then a custom error message?

Yes with a plugin. Or you can use the simple but less accurate method of editing the def file via the table editor to only accept emails from your GMail domains.

Quote:
In how many instances (a rough estimate as a percetage), has LSQL required server access by GT for completing the installation and bringing it up to the stage where the same can be opened for public domain

Who is this addressed to and what will you gain from knowing?
Quote Reply
Re: [Paul] Email Address Restriction In Registration In reply to
Quote:
Who is this addressed to and what will you gain from knowing?

Quote:
has LSQL required server access by GT for completing the installation

Sorry if i could not phrase it explicitly.
I would not want to land in same problem post purchase (I hope). Addressed to whoever 'officially' answers the pre sales queries.

Thnx
Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

Links SQL is much simpler then Gossamer Mail as it does not require any integration with a mail server. If you can install Gossamer Forum (which you can download from our site), then you will have no problems installing Links SQL. Free installation is of course included should you need it (but access to the server is required for that).

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] Email Address Restriction In Registration In reply to
Thnx Alex. Please do not misunderstand but as of now the server access part is pretty difficult. Hope the situation eases out by the time (from the service provider end at least) I am ready to take LSQL.

How much would that plugin (of restricting email addresses to GM addresses in LSQL signup) would cost? I am asking you this though Paul had suggested because wire transfer charges involved for every transaction.

Thnx

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi Alex.

Going by your word, i did do a long run of trials with GF before really taking LSQL. Did not find any problems with GF with whatever i did. Confident enough, i ordered LSQL and then started the endless pain

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...orum.cgi?post=262424

I just can't go beyond step1 of this testing. Testing on Links in DB would only follow after the error is resolved. And i have seen the same reported on many occassions so it could not be an isolated case related to my server setup or something (though pretty soon i am moving over to a new service provider)

Post install on 26th Feb, i posted the error and waited for response, believeing that LSQ is more popular than GMail and more aggressively used, the response would be pretty quick if not from GT then from the LSQL maestros except for the one which hinted at replacing the keyboards and mouse (hope that was not a joke or a sarcasm). Unfortunately, as luck would have it, I am going thru the same pain as with GM in it's initial days. I know i am not going to use LSQL for the run of the mill DMOZ replication so i need a near perfect operation before the same is released to public domain.

Thanks
Anup
Quote Reply
What I forgot to mention in my post was:

(1). My Admin Directory Is Password Protected so only i am accessing the admin section. So any cause attributable to this *ruled out*

(2). The user end url is not known to any one so there are is no traffic to the same. So any cause attributable to this *ruled out*

A Solution would be the most refreshing thing after a waiting period which has now extended into it's sixth day.

Anup
Quote Reply
Hi,

I've posted a reply to your thread, but as I mentioned before, for official support, please visit our support form:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/support/

While we try to answer as often as possible on the forum, we can't promise that we will get to every post or that we will be able to respond in a timely fashion.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.