Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

nph_verify management (how often to run)

Quote Reply
nph_verify management (how often to run)
Hi,

I've got nph_verify.cgi working from a cron job every 4 days with "--check_from 4" set - will this check all links that have not been checked in the past 4 days?

I'm trying to work out a compromise between the length of time verify is running (number of links to check) and how often links should, in practice, be checked.

I'm now thinking that 4 days is too often, and maybe I should just check every 30 days or so, but would that queue up a larger amount of links per run and make the process a heavier one?

Also, are there other ways I could use nph_verify, such as only checking new links, or checking links in an ordered series?

I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me about nph_verify and how they manage it as I'd like to keep links current, but also make sure I'm not over doing it Smile

Many thanks.

All the best
Shaun
Quote Reply
Re: [qango] nph_verify management (how often to run) In reply to
Hi,

nph-verify is not a very heavy process, just a time consuming one. Most of the time it's just sitting there waiting on dead links to either resolve via dns, or connect to (and ends up timing out). So while it takes a while to run on a large batch, it does not impact the system much.

I usually recommend to have --check_from 7 in cron. This will make sure each link is checked once a week.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] nph_verify management (how often to run) In reply to
Alex,

Thanks for the advice - I'll adjust cron to a 7 day cycle and leave it to do its thing Smile

All the best
Shaun