Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

mod_perl, speedycgi or fastcgi, pls advise

Quote Reply
mod_perl, speedycgi or fastcgi, pls advise
Hello,

This is a old but still live problem. Because of the jumping problem, I switched to not using jump.cgi instead using static urls. but the concern is static url will allow other easily copy your content. Finally I decided to move to a virtual persone server (vps) or virtual dedicated server with 128 Ram. However, my server got crippled almost every night when traffic is LIGHT. After looking around and digging with SAR, my server seller told me that this is probably caused by jump.cgi although I don't believe it since on this vps, this is the only site running which gets 50,000 daily hits and 200M bandwide usage. I have tried turning off programs which may eat up resources such as mailman and others, which made no difference. Before I jump to the conclusion that this is NOT a jump.cgi problem, I would like to try one of those perl enhancer: mod_perl, speedycgi and fastcgi.

So please advise me which one is simplest and most effective in terms of cutting down server load.

(I own a vps with root, linux 9, appach 1.3, 128ram)

Thank you very much.

Long
Quote Reply
Re: [long327] mod_perl, speedycgi or fastcgi, pls advise In reply to
Hi,

The simplest one to setup and test is SpeedyCGI. Just change the path to jump.cgi from:

#!/usr/bin/perl

to:

#!/usr/bin/speedy

and that's it. mod_perl will offer better performance, but SpeedyCGI should still be a huge increase.

Cheers,

Alex
--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Re: [Alex] mod_perl, speedycgi or fastcgi, pls advise In reply to
Thanks Alex. I will try speedycgi.

Could you have a look into this thread

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/...i?post=262194#262194

There seems a bug in clicktrack table def.

Long