links directory

Quote Reply
links directory
Hi glinks users,
at the moment I have my linksoutput in a subdirectory like
www.domain.com/subdirectory

I know that I can built my page in the root directory, too
www.domain.com/

What directory do you prefer (root or sub) and what are the arguments (SEO, Chaos in Root etc.) for your decision.

Thanks for your answers

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Re: [Matthias70] links directory In reply to
Hi,

The higher up the folder hierarchy, the better. In short, domain.com is the preferred way, compared to domain.com/subdirectory/.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Want to give me something back for my help? Please see my Amazon Wish List
GLinks ULTRA Package | GLinks ULTRA Package PRO
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] links directory In reply to
Andy wrote:

The higher up the folder hierarchy, the better. In short, domain.com is the preferred way, compared to domain.com/subdirectory/.

Hi Andy that's the best for Search Engine Optimization. That's a fact.
But there are many links installs outside - ultranerds too - using a subdirectory.

Why do admins, why do you use a subdirectory?
Is it only to prevent a chaos in the rootdirectory, when there are to many topcategories?

Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

The main reason we have it in /site/ is because that's where pugdog set it up originally, when we setup our installation :) It started getting those pages spidered, so it kinda stuck (so as not to loose any PR).

I guess that could be the same with a few sites.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk
Links SQL Plugins | Website Design and SEO | UltraNerds | ULTRAGLobals Plugin | Pre-Made Template Sets | FREE GLinks Plugins!
Quote Reply
Re: [Andy] links directory In reply to
Hi Andy,
so what do I have to do, to change it from sub to root?
Is it enough to change just the paths in admin/setup and the htaccess file for the mod rewrite in the subdirectory.

Thanks
Matthias

Matthias
gpaed.de
Quote Reply
Hi,

Yup, you should just need to update your paths in the Setup > Paths & URL's section.

However, a tip is to leave your image/css etc folders to a sub-directory, as they can then be excluded from your rewrite_rules (saves a lot of headaches with images not showing up, even though they appear to be there =))

Also - yes, you will need to update your .htaccess file.

Cheers

Andy (mod)
andy@ultranerds.co.uk