Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

import data

Quote Reply
import data
I tried to import data - edited my "listoflinks.txt" to add just a few more links as a test - import went ok I could see from admin / database / tables / link / import-export using "export to screen" that my edited data was there.

how do I get my site to "update" with the new/edited data?

tried "build changed" - no effect

any help / advice pleaseUnsure
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] import data In reply to
Try Build all!
Quote Reply
Re: [dearnet] import data In reply to
OK - thanks

- was'nt sure - did'nt want to mess up - without knowing what "build all" would do!

I have about 60 pages like: about.htm, contact.htm etc.......that I have added to my site, will these be effected

"build all" how does that effect pages that I have customised?

Thanks Smile
Colin Thompson
Quote Reply
Re: [colintho] import data In reply to
Hi!

You need to understand something basic, so that you do not have any fear!

Your real data is in the Mysql, you may just have imported. Then from this data, any presentation out of it will be kind of a mask or a page representing that data. Like search page is a page representing the data to a user from the Mysql table, without changing or modifying the data.

Build does the same thing. It simply fetches the data and re-presents them into static, or even dynaminc, pages.

Hence if you want to see what is in your database "without fear" of all, simply use dynamic function. It means that you will be able to view the data from the database "live" directly fetched from it and static pages will not be build. Build all builds a page what it has to contain that can rest on the server. The difference is the time in case of heavy loads on the server where one may want to save processing power and have the static pages "ready to serve"!

So what you have in the database will be presented and you can see it by dynaminc.

If you have more questions feel free to ask. However, I do not visit the forum so it may take some time to answer.
Quote Reply
Re: [dearnet] import data In reply to
much appreciated, thanks for the info Smile
Colin Thompson