Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

html in category header field?

Quote Reply
html in category header field?
1. Is it ok to dump html in the Category header field (under Admin/Modify Category) and then call it with <%header%> in the category.html template?

2. Is this the "correct" way to have special content appear on a particular category page (but not its subcategories)?

3. And is there any limit to the amount of html?

Sorry to ask a dumb question, but from the docs and forum I do not find any specific instructions on this (not that are clear to a novice anywayCool.)

Many thanks for any help.

Thanks,
--Jo

Last edited by:

iplay: Feb 20, 2004, 2:55 AM
Quote Reply
Re: [iplay] html in category header field? In reply to
In Reply To:
1. Is it ok to dump html in the Category header field (under Admin/Modify Category) and then call it with <%header%> in the category.html template?
From what I know, you would have to modify the template - category.html. I put my navigation links and promotional material in using this method. There is a caveat on what you want to do. There is the ability to put in all your header information such as, meta tags, description etc via the 'browse' link in admin. If you go wholesale on what you want to do, you will lose the ability to do that. The offshoot of it all would be that ALL your headers in ALL categories would be the same. I suggest you get sound advice and think about it before proceeding. The advantages of using the globals is without a doubt, one of the features of the script. As far as I know, you can pretty well do as you please with the globals. Hope this helps.
Quote Reply
Re: [Gypsypup] html in category header field? In reply to
Thanks Gypsypup.

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I'm meaning the header field under Browse/Edit Category.

Let me put my question another way:

What is supposed to go in the optional header (or footer) field in each Category? Is it text, html, a filename or what?

Let's say I have the following categories:

Australia
New Zealand
USA
etc

On each of these category pages I want a map of the respective country to appear, plus links to sub-categories and all the other usual stuff. My real question is how to get a map of Australia on the Australia category page and a map of the USA on the USA category page -- but NOT on all the subcatgory pages?

Thanks again.

Thanks,
--Jo
Quote Reply
Re: [iplay] html in category header field? In reply to
OK, I saw a global call there and got nervous.

With what you want to do, the proccess can be reversed. Just go out and play.