Gossamer Forum
Home : Products : Gossamer Links : Discussions :

editing the language file

Quote Reply
editing the language file
Ok, tried to use explorer and 2 other browsers to edit the language file for my templates. Everything gets blown and the characters (Japanese) become pure gibberish.

I also tried to edit the file by hand but as soon as I change the font and check the changes the file is no longer recognizeable by the admin area and the variable names show instead of the comment.

I've been trying to dig around in the html files for the admin templates and have also logged at the tools.pm but I'm not really sure what I should be looking for.

What do I need to change ???

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, since I'm here, where do you get the other search-ni.cgi from?

thanks folks
Quote Reply
Re: editing the language file In reply to
OK,

question: for the language file -- prompts, warnings, error messages .... where exactly are these in relation to the templates, ie yahoo, snap ....

If I exchange < % LINKS_TOP % > in my menu bar for HOME I get an undefined tag. So is the home.html a prompt (well header area) or not? IF not how do I use the language file language in a template. I want to change some of the wording and language too.

Where would I declare a variable for each of the menu links -- HOME - ADD - MODIFY - ect ... Do I have to edit the global.txt file? to include these declarations?

on the pages in between ...
Quote Reply
sorry about sounding garbled the last post, it was like 4am and had been digging and digging around all the pm files tryoing to figure what's going on. Jeee, I wish I had a road map.

I saw this posted by pugdog:

<%GT::Template::dump%>

nice, a user suggestion being included -- pretty useful if known about.

So, the question is now why seperate the "User Language" from "Template Globals" ???
so far I can see the only real difference is that Template Globals take care of all the misc. tags and that the User language takes care of all error tags. If I'm wrong flames are OK!

Actually, the User Language area is even better organized. Quick links to the specific area. Has anybody did anything with this yet? Resource center doesn't seem to have a mod to organize the Template Globals ....

When I try to use < % LINKS_TOP % > I get this error " Unknown Tag: 'LINKS_TOP' " ... well of course, It's not even part of the tag dump ....

So I got 2 questions, Has anybody moded Template Globals for easy reading and organizatin and/or No. 2 how do I go about pulling in tags from User language?

The reason for these 2 questions is that I don't want a Template Global page to grow and grow. On another thread somebody wrote that they already have 70 tags ... hehe I wonder how many screens do you need to scroll down to see them all?

Any help or ideas would be appreciate.

Quote Reply
Hi,

User language is a list of all the language strings Links SQL uses and you should not really remove elements from it. The globals contain whatever globals you the user (or template designer) want to add in your template set.

So yahoo, snap, av, default would all have the same language file, but all have different globals.

Hope that helps,

Alex

--
Gossamer Threads Inc.
Quote Reply
Yeah that helps ... Thanks